John Potis - Rest in peace

Hello.

It is with a heavy heart that I come to tell the Audiogon community that John Potis has passed away last night. As I got to read his work at 6moons.com and Positive Feedback Online, I developed a strong appreciation for his reviews of high-end audio components. I came to feel he was perhaps the best writer in the high-end audio hobby currently. Not only did John exhibit the great skill of being able to balance the artistic and technical aspects of a component he was describing, he also did a bang up job in letting the reader know how it actually sounded.

He was a bull of a man, and it still seems impossible to me that the cancer took him down so quickly.

Though manufacturers/distributors and reviewers are supposed to keep a high wall between them, John and I developed a very close and deep friendship over the almost 2 years time that I came to know him. He was a devout family man, possessed a wicked sense of humor, was a great guy to hang out with, but most of all, he was a genuinely good and decent man who did his best each and every day.

Godspeed to his wife and two daughters,
Joe
trelja
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences regarding John.

To me, that was just the way he was. He loved corresponding with people, and had as much time as a person requested of him, whether he knew them or not. The overarching thing, as can be clearly seen, was that he never had anything to gain from any of this. He just wanted to be as helpful as he possibly could be to a person. He had very good insight into high-end audio, and we are all the richer for being able to have him share those opinions with us.

He was just a hell of a man, and a good friend. I think this is only going to get harder for me as time goes by...
I am very sorry to hear this. May God be with him and his family, especially at this time.

Though I did not know him personally, his reviews were always spot on and I've always valued his insights. It was just so weird that a couple of days ago, I was wondering why his name wasn't coming up as far as reviewing new upcoming equipments. Little did I know that cancer has taken him.

The audio community is at a loss.

...my condolences to his family and friends.
I had a very similar experience corresponding with John and found him to be generous with his time and his knowledge. He clearly cared about this hobby and the people who professed to be a part of it. I will miss his reviews and his insight. I can only offer up my deepest condolences to his family and to his colleagues. May he rest in peace.
Trelja, I recently received the sad news about John. I find it beautiful that so many other audio enthusiasts/music lovers out there, also reached out to John for advice.
He got me hooked on Ohms, and I'm forever grateful for his educational, thoughtful and of course, funny emails.
Funny how some people just seem so approachable- he gave off that feeling, and backed it up so well. I'm glad I at least had the little bit of contact that I did with him - he seemed like a pretty special person.
-Neil