Need basic iPod help...

I am looking for advice (or a good link) on how to get the best performance from my iPod (both iTunes downloads and my own burned CD's) when connected to my AV receiver. I'm assuming this gets discussed to-death, but I have not found the good info I am looking for.

Thank in advance!
Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2
Get a nice, hand-made dock from Ken Ball at Audio Line Out that is terminated with RCA plugs.

Regards,
Metralla,
Thanks for the tip . I visited Ken's website. Some beautiful stuff there!

Take care.
So -

You need to rip in Apple Lossless with error correction on and all of the options under Playback off. This is mandatory and gets you most of the way there no matter what else you do.

Then if you want to take it to the max you need to go to ALO and buy a big money cable...

I recommend one that plugs into the USB port on the bottom of the iPod rather then a 3.5mm that plugs into the top

Reason buying that the USB plug is post DAC but pre the op amps and volume control which feed the 3.5mm plug

Note that in this mode, the iPod volume wheel does NOT control the output level of the USB port - this needs to happen downstream in a pre
Ckorody,

Please don't take offence, but you are using an incorrect term - that port is not a USB socket. It's the proprietary "Apple dock". Otherwise, you are correct about the mini-plug being after the headphone op amp and volume control. There are only three pins in the Apple dock that are required for audio - Left, Right and Ground. You can rip the rest out - it makes it easier to solder inside.

Regards,