So Much "Harshness"

In perusing the various boards, both here and elsewhere ("we toured the world and elsewhere")one theme that seems to be prevalent is "my system sounds harsh" or "this cd player seems harsh", etc.

Why are complaints of "harshness" so common? Are people selecting the wrong components based on dealer demos where the "brighter" components sound better due to additional detail? Is it caused by a taste for music which is intentionally mixed bright to be heard better on transistor radios? (The radios are gone, but the mixing tradition lives on, doesn't it?) Are they simply listening louder than their systems will tolerate without deteriorating? I think this is pretty common. It costs a lot of money for a system that will deliver audiophile sound at high volume.

What do you think?
chayro
"Why are complaints of harshness so common".....

Because so many of the folks that make these complaints are flying blind when it comes to component selection, system synergy, and system set up.

They base their selection on professional reviews, manufacturers puffery, recommendations of dealers and salesmen, and fantasies (thiers and others) of what is possible in thier budget and environment. Often they have no knowledge of creating system synergy with a specific end/goal in mind, little knowledge of what is possible, or not, and know little about proper set up. If you think otherwise, you're not reading a lot of questions posted here. And answers as well!

We live in a society where most so many casual hobbists just want an 'answer to fit' without doing any research and accepts the answer which sounds best to his mind, not his ear. He makes himself a mark.

Synergy, is often created when you join a less than perfect component with another with complementary features. Its the old a 'brightish CDP matched to a rounded/warm pre-amp/amp'. Not a brightish CDP matched to a high resolution SS pre-amp/amp and very 'neutral' high resolution speakers as well. But then you must allow for the fact that I don't believe in 'perfect sound reproduction' nor fairies, so its easy for me to say. It would not be so easy if I had to make a living in this hobby.

And FWIW, I agree with Tvad re digital v analog. I think Mr T wasn't listening much to music in the pre-digital days, and I agree with Mikelevange - harshness, whether from distortions or non linearities, has many many potential sources, which we all hear differently and or value differently.

FWIW - I just felt the urge to rant a bit..........:-)
Commcat,
Are you sure you don't mean 14 gauge. I looked at Parts Express and the largest cable I could find was 10 gauge cable. Here's a wire gauge chart from Wikipedia. Not looking for an argument but 4 gauge is huge, hard to believe it's flexible.
While many good points have been made above, my feeling is that you hit upon the most significant reason in your original post. Recordings that are poorly engineered, or intentionally brightened, or both.

Most of my listening (80% vinyl, 20% cd) is to classical music on labels that are either audiophile-oriented, or are otherwise high quality. I hear very little that I would describe as harsh. When I have occasion to put on a popular recording, or many big-label classical releases, my reaction is often (although certainly not always) simply "ouch."

Regards,
-- Al
Tim,
This is the url for the 4 Gauge Cable;
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-196
Commcat,
Well I'll be damned. But why scrimp? Might as well go for the 1 gauge.
I'm going to stop in at one of the local car audio places this week to see how thick that stuff is.