Why are "low hours" a consideration?

I've noticed a lot of people selling items here that have "low hours", for both speakers and amplifiers. Does the sound gradually get worse over time? I haven't noticed with mine, but if it's gradual I guess I wouldn't. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a system, I would expect that if I take good care of it it should sound just as excellent years from now, and I certainly hope I shouldn't need to keep track of how many "hours" I've played it. Am I wrong in thinking this?
eerae
And the dog is a lot cleaner than some of the unsavoury characters my kids bring into the house from time to time.
Markphd

LOL! I certainly can relate to that.

03-10-09: Cyclonicman
Wouldn't you rather buy a car with 25,000 miles on it vs 150,000 miles?

Obviously the answer to this question is yes, assuming you are willing to pay for it (the one with 150,000 miles will obviously cost much less). The difference is that the mileage on a car can be proven due to the odometer. 'Low hours' on any audio gear is simply an opinion, not a fact. There is nothing to prove it.

Cheers,
John
Gotta be in the post realm of borderline moronic.Though I guess he could be from OC or Bakersfield.No offense to the cowboys or the field-workers....
John, of course you are right, but I was assuming that the low hours was in fact, the truth, as in the amp has 1,000 hours of use or these exotic matched tubes have been used for 2 months or 500 hours and they are known to have a lifespan of 10,000 hours. Remove the truth from the equation and you've got nothing but nice photos to make your purchase from. Low hours without numbers means nothing, but as a buyer, I would want a number. If you are going to buy used, there is always a certain amount of trust and you hope that the seller has some integrity. BTW, there have been many cases of sellers claiming low mileage on cars that they have tampered with the Odometers. It comes down to the principles and the integrity of the seller. Fortunately, every seller that I have dealt with on Audiogon has been truthful!
It's simply impossible to buy a used cartridge on Audiogon without low hours.

:-)))))
I get a kick outta this one :

"These speakers only driven with the best ancillary equipment"

Like they have a damn memory for the next owner ?