Why are "low hours" a consideration?

I've noticed a lot of people selling items here that have "low hours", for both speakers and amplifiers. Does the sound gradually get worse over time? I haven't noticed with mine, but if it's gradual I guess I wouldn't. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a system, I would expect that if I take good care of it it should sound just as excellent years from now, and I certainly hope I shouldn't need to keep track of how many "hours" I've played it. Am I wrong in thinking this?
eerae
My favorite is "won't last long at this price" does that mean that it's so cheap that it will fall to pieces as soon as you ship it to me?
Rx8man, Re 'memory' issues. Consider that some professional musicians and instrument makers will argue that a new instrument will, thru the break in process, take on the signature of the musician using it and which might be an impediment to future owners. So it isn't just us audiophiles who think low hours might, just might, make a difference for reasons other than the ultimate life expectancy of the product.

Ain't it fun! :-)
Good one Viridian, here's another :

"This is a low hour, original MK 427.5, not a factory upgrade"

Does this mean the factory "ripped it apart" to do the upgrade, now it ain't worth a crap ?
You guys are all wrong! "Low hours" means that the cartridge, amp, speakers, resonating bowls were only used when the the sun was at it's lowest point in the sky. The Anasazi started this practice.
As we all know, it gets hot in the southwest. The ancients NEVER played their stereos (CDs as well as LPs) in the hot sun. They only broke out the tunes when the sun went down- or at "low hours".
The ancients knew what they were doing.
And never, NEVER did they allow Lassie to change a record, clean a record, or use the yellow snow to clean a CD.
Study your history audiophiles!
Mike, that reminds me of "near mint" which means that the piece of gear next to it on the shelf is mint, but the one that you are buying is a beater.