Do you spend more on audio than your income allows

I make a very modest living especially for living in Southern California where everything is so expensive. I should not be buying or looking at audio components but I do anyways. Luckily my wife works and we don't have any kids. If I had kids I'd probably have a Bose wave radio because that is all I could afford. BTW- I live in a small house and drive a 25 year old Honda.
taters
The way I look at it, since hearing declines with age, why wait till you can't hear to be able to afford a great system

Well said man! Indeed, this excellent excuse has long been a notion that I emphatically embrace.
"The way I look at it, since hearing declines with age, why wait till you can't hear to be able to afford a great system"

Of course, this opens up the question how well must one be able to hear in order to enjoy listening to music?

Interestingly, as I get older and my hearing changes, as it does for us all, but also as the senses I have overall become more "well tuned" per se as a result of experience, it seems I have to spend more and more to get the sound right.

I haven't hit 50 yet, but it seems I may be becoming more of an old codger in some ways sooner rather than later.
Tholt, in most ways your post sounds like me, although I am simply trying to get to a satisfying system after a long trial and error and then be done. For me the trial and error, buying, selling, spending and spending, auditioning, has not been fun. What will be fun is one day sitting back and really enjoying the music I hear from my system. The gear changing and corresponding expense has not been fun.
Foster, that's too bad. i can't imagine doing what I'm doing if it wasn't fun. I find it extremely fun -- the only downside is the considerable cash outlay. I find myself lost in dreaming of upgrades, what's available on agon, and doing research. I'm in the honeymoon period of audiophilism. Those things in and of themselves take up a lot of time I devote willingly. In fact, it's when I can't justify another upgrade that I get antsy. I fully expect and anticipate this obsessive pace to wain, as I get closer to achieving a satisfying stereo and accepting along the way that the 'perfect' sound will for me, probably always sound better then what I actually hear. Great reality check for liking what you have.

Here's hoping you find contentment sooner rather then later.
I'm in the honeymoon period of audiophilism.

Tholt, my friend, you are delusional! You are in fact inexorably ensnared within the clutches of this neurosis we call audiophiledom.