I need your advice on system for a non-audiophile

While I am sure this type of thread may have been posted before, I'd really like your input on this. At the risk of sounding like an out of touch audiophile, I simply have been away from the lower end market (e.g., the Best Buy scene for audio) for so long that I really don't know if I can be of help to a work colleague who asked for my help in buying a new "stereo."

My colleague told me she has a "crappy Sony system" that really doesn't sound that good and would like my suggestion for buying something new. I suspect its an older cheap rack-type all Sony system. She tells me it has "5 tiny little speakers."

I asked her to tell what three things are most important to her in this new system and here is her reply:

1. Sound quality that is clear

2. Not small system, but not too large. My house is really small so I don't' want a system that takes up all of my free space (she has seen my 300 pound Rockports and triple wide loaded SRA rack so she may be thinking about that when she worries about a system taking up all of her "free space.")

3. Price, between $700 - $1,000 if possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks
fmpnd
I've set up dozens of systems over the years. Just did an Arcam Mini-Solo with Usher 520 speaks and 24" massed stands and was quite amazed. Truthfully, I didn't think it would have as much soundstage, resolution and dynamics as it does. Simple, clean and unobtrusive.

Of course to hit the $1,000 mark we would be talking used.
NAD L-53 DVD/CD/tuner/amp is listed for $375. That is a respectable unit for the money and would pair nicely with Paradigm, Axiom, Usher or any number of decent monitors.
The all-in-one units certainly are appealing because of the simplicity of setup and their compact size but the risk is that if there is a problem with any part of the unit you're out of luck.

I had that experience with the NAD L-53 in a setup for my daughter with a pair of the Usher 520's (nice speakers, by the way.) There was a transport problem with the first unit, which meant replacing the whole unit under warranty after considerable delay, then the transport in the second unit began to act up, as well. After having that one sit at the NAD repair facility for almost four months I finally gave up and replaced it with a Pioneer Elite integrated and a DVD player as source.

I haven't heard them but the new Cambridge Audio Sonata series of components look attractive for a use like this. They're very compact and Cambridge has a good reputation for sonics.
I did something similar for a friend - although I spent a bit more money. I bought a pair of Spica TC50s on Ebay (there is a pair for sale on Augiogon) and complemented them with older Linn electronics. The Spicas are wonderful and not space hogs visually or physically.
Seeing is believing. Best you see/hear the room, existing system before making a recommendation. The statement of 'clear' leads me to think the issue is just not the equipment.