I need your advice on system for a non-audiophile

While I am sure this type of thread may have been posted before, I'd really like your input on this. At the risk of sounding like an out of touch audiophile, I simply have been away from the lower end market (e.g., the Best Buy scene for audio) for so long that I really don't know if I can be of help to a work colleague who asked for my help in buying a new "stereo."

My colleague told me she has a "crappy Sony system" that really doesn't sound that good and would like my suggestion for buying something new. I suspect its an older cheap rack-type all Sony system. She tells me it has "5 tiny little speakers."

I asked her to tell what three things are most important to her in this new system and here is her reply:

1. Sound quality that is clear

2. Not small system, but not too large. My house is really small so I don't' want a system that takes up all of my free space (she has seen my 300 pound Rockports and triple wide loaded SRA rack so she may be thinking about that when she worries about a system taking up all of her "free space.")

3. Price, between $700 - $1,000 if possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks
fmpnd
My first system was 1K and almost exactly what tpreaves describes (though with the equivalents of 13-14 years ago). If I had it to do over again I'd do the exact same thing.

NAD integrated, NAD CD player (if she wants them to match; Oppo if she doesn't), and front-ported monitors for ease of placement (I used the KEF Q15--a fantastic speaker with a lovely midrange that sounds good all over the room, available used for around $200). That setup kept me happy for 10 years, till I started upgrading.

NAD's entry level amps are great and easy to keep as a foundation if she wants to upgrade later--and very reliable. A C325BEE would be about $300 on the 'Gon, and might be better long term than the C315BEE new. The C515 player is supposed to be quite good, though in that price range it's probably the one thing I'd want to buy new for the warranty. Cables from Markertek are a good cheap option, too.

Having owned Marantz and NAD at that price point, I'd strongly recommend NAD on build and sound quality.
I,m helping a non-audiophile on the cheap.She wants to stream inter-net radio .Also has 500cds.Download all cds.I used a mm .audio card$120,a used pass/pre(axiom$85).kg4,s$150,supra speaker cable$12.Ive 2 outlaw2200s. amps,Incredible sound ,used$400.gainclone,rotel ,many amp choices .I didnt hear anything near to what I,m listening to now,for pennys on the dollar.No computer?apple tv,squeeze box.i saw 2375marantz for$30 on craigs/list A great sound for under a grand.who knew?Good luck
Consider the Bose Wave unit with the integral CD player, tuner, and speakers if you are concerned about space yet want a more full-sound experience. It's not audiophile but you may find it quite satisfying at this time.
Is the wave unit even made for sound ?My Mom was given one free(wave unit) from a happy client.She wondered what she had done to piss him off.He did include the reciept,Back it went
Maddoggy, Not sure what you're mom had or what your asking or implying.

The Bose Wave Music System sells for around $450-$499 on the internet. I have 4 audio systems with one being the monster in my sound room.

I don't own the Bose Wave but friends do (mainly in their gormet kitchens). The musical reproduction from this little unit is rather amazing.

A long time ago as an entry-level marketing person in NYC I had a Bose (minus the CD since there were no CDs at that time except for something SONY was working with) in a small apt. in Chelsea. It fit the bill rather fine in that space; rich sound, very compact, very affordable.