Headphones - Senn HD 800 or Grado RS1i.......

Anybody here had the chance to compare the two. I see that this site leans more towards Grado while the general outside population leans towards the 800s as far as "best" goes.
Anyway, I am looking for soundstage and good bass too and will probably opt for one of these two models if they have these qualities.
thomastrouble
Thomastrouble, I see that your adventure has started. Like I said in my first reply, you really must listen for yourself. That's what this is all about. What is "heaven" for someone, is "hell" for someone else.

After designing and building music systems professionally for over 20 years, I have come to the conclusion that the price has nothing to do with quality. My favorite things have been, and still are the simplest. Finding what works for you is the key.

The important thing is the music (you mentioned that you have been listening to "light rock and electronica")....what are you listening to exactly. Bands, artist, albums???? I'm a "progressive listener" and always open to new things.....

Keep listening and having fun.... ;)
Okay, I have to admit I am still undecided.
I do listen to a wide range of music, but
when I want to relax and have an audiophile
moment I listen to a lot of female vocals and electronic chill. So I need rich vocals and combined with good sound stage layering. I do have a low tolerance for tipped up brightness. I feel that my Senn 600 HD600 cans are not warm enough for vocals even with my tubed Cary 300b sei. Does anyone have any advise choosing between the grado or the Senns 800?
Scottmac - do you live near Portland, OR. If so you can listen to those and various other headphones at 32 Ohm. There are probably other resources in major cities. Or try doing what ThomasTrouble did and buy both and return whichever you do not prefer before the trial period ends. As you can see from Thomas responses, there are no hard and fast rules that say everyone is going to necessarily prefer one over the other, and $ don't necessarily buy "better" in some cases. To me the ultimate cans have been the 800's, and nothing I've heard comes close as far as staging. They do not sound like 600's at all to me. I'm using a tube amp too - a Woo WA6SEM. I'd bet the Cary would do a fine job with either choice. I'm way into female vocals though not much into electronic chill (honestly don't know what that is). To get some info on the PS1000, go over to headfi.org - here's some reading for you - again, bag of salt applies, just like it would here or anywhere. Plenty of useful info that can be distilled there though. Let us know what you do.
Thanks for the link Jax2. I live in Seattle and will have
to see if anyone carries these two cans.

I am curious what you are using for a headphone amp and
if you have had the chance to listen to the Cary or
the Naim Headline. I already have Naim gear and like
different perspectives in music. So, I guess I need a
set that is compatible with both the Cary and Naim.