Is listening daily at an average of 85db safe?

For a few hours a day I listen at an average of 85dbc. (Yes that's dbc, c weighted, not a weighted) A weighted average is about 78. All information on hearing loss I can find online is always measured in Dba, not dbc. Does this mean I can actually listen louder without the risk of damage or no? Are bass sounds less damaging? Is it safe for me to be listening daily at these levels?
nemesis1218
asking this question on an audiophile web site is not a very good idea; neither is giving someone advice in this regard. I have my own opinion, which, given my background is probaly better than 99 percent of the persons who are going to respond. Consult an audiologist.
Not a problem provided it is music. This is not loud at all. If this were machinery for 8 hours a day then the answer might be different.
It makes no difference whether it is music or a finely-tuned machine, like a HD...a dB is a dB. However, sitting on a HD for 5-8 hours a day may be the cause of an additional concern.
It makes no difference whether it is music or a finely-tuned machine, like a HD...a dB is a dB.

It does. A machine at 85 db will output continuous noise at that level affecting the ear in exactly the same frequencies for a continuous period - like a jack hammer on the hearing it is specifically working certain nerve bundles and hairs.

Music (especially classical) will have much more dynamic range - so you get a lot of soft passages mixed with louder ones that may reach 85 db only on the louder passages.

The key with hearing is exposure. Giving your ears a break is very important. That break can be either several soft classical passages or an album of laid back acoustic music played in the middle of a session or harder and louder rock.

Variety is important - 4 hours of continuous Metallica played loud is much worse than an eclectic mix with some balads thrown in.