How long do you wait for a check to clear

Hello, I'm selling some equipment for several thousand dollars. I told the buyer that I would take a personal check and send the equipment after it clears. My bank said that they couldn't tell me when it cleared, only if it was returned. They said that in most cases it should be ok in 10 business days. I'm not sure when to ship the equipment Does anyone have any experience with this? Help!!
bwos
Bottom line is, folks who elect to send a personal check as payment elect to wait a sufficient amount of time for you the seller to ensure the check has cleared and funds have been deposited. I'd not ship anything for 10 business days minimum. Banks don't want to accept the responsibility for you shipping goods based on a personal check so of course they're not going to advise you when a check is clear. I recently had to wait 12 business days for the clearance of a certified bank check before shipping the item to the buyer. I kept the buyer in the loop with regular updates, which is all anyone can expect of you. Buyer simply has to be patient, for they've elected to do so by sending payment in the form of a personal check. Adhere to the motto 'you'll ship no gear before it's time' and you'll be fine.
If it's a USA bank, search for a local branch, go to the manager and have it cleared on the spot via computer.

Walk out with cash or bank certified check, either way you can get instant credit in your own account.

I've had success with Wells Fargo, Bank of America and a couple of others. I think it was Chase that refused unless I also had an account.

It's worth a try, saves at least a week.
Wire transfer is the only safe way according to my bank. Certified and personal checks can both be stopped in 30 days. My bank said send Certified for payments and I can stop payment with a phone call. If the person wants the gear, send back the check and ask for the bank transfer. You have too much to risk and not worth the hastle.
There was a law passed some years ago that when a check is presented to a bank it is processed immediately, it should clear the next day, mine does. No more check floating for the floaters.
That's exactly right. Go to the bank the check is written on and cash it. Why would a seller agree to a personal check in the first place. Sellers should at least require a Cashier's Check or Money Order, but the risk is equally on both sides in these transactions. I always get a little nervous when FedEx delivers my Cashier's Check and the communication suddenly stops. Fortunately I haven't been burned yet.