What is “warmth” and how do you get it?

Many audiophiles set out to assemble a system that sounds “warm.” I have heard several systems that could be described that way. Some of them sounded wonderful. Others, less so. That got me wondering: What is this thing called “warmth”?

It seems to me that the term “warm” can refer to a surprising number of different system characteristics. Here are a few:

1. Harmonic content, esp. added low order harmonics
2. Frequency response, esp. elevated lower midrange/upper bass
3. Transient response, esp. underdamped (high Q) drivers for midrange or LF
4. Cabinet resonance, esp. some materials and shapes
5. Room resonance, esp. some materials and dimensions

IME, any of these characteristics (and others I haven’t included) can result in a system that might be described as “warm.”

Personally, I have not set out to assemble a system that sounds warm, but I can see the appeal in it. As my system changes over time, I sometimes consider experimenting more with various kinds of “warmth.” With that in mind…

Do you think some kinds of warmth are better than others?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
one more consideration:

warmth is a spectral balance. it is different from neutrality. it must concern the realtionship or balance between the treble and bass regions.

thus as far as arecording is concerned, it is tuning of a stereo system to create a particular balance that provides a greater emphasis upon the bass region than the treble region.

it probably results in a loss of resolution.
FWIW, and its already been discussed fairly well, I think the terms warm(er), neutral, or cool/analytical, are difficult when used to discuss the sound of music. Audio, OK, maybe.

Not to be overly simplistic, but what turns me on is always a sound that is natural, sympathetic to the sound of live music, and draws my attention to musical content and detail, but not so much the stereo/multichannel effects created by a well executed system.

For the most part I listen to live music in the orchestra section row G dead center where the power of the orchestra, the separation of instrumental detail but where the total integration of the orchestra is best (for me). The sounds from the string sections, violins especially, are never dominant nor screechy (bright, too prominent, which is often a product of the recording itself) and small groups and solo instruments in a recital hall (which has superb acoustics.) So I have selected components, speakers, etc, which replicate best that live experience. BUT IT'S NOT LIVE and that is not my audio goal.

FWIW I really agree with most of hifiman5's comments.
02-06-11: Stanwal
I would add that I find soft dome tweeters "warmer" [whatever that means] than metal domes...The metal domes seem wonderfully detailed and accurate but somewhat "cold".

I agree with this impression, Stan. Before hearing the beryllium tweeter in the Focals, I had never heard a metal dome tweeter that appealed to me, including those used in top notch speakers like Wilson. To my ears, the beryllium tweeter doesn’t sound inherently "cold" (though I have heard it give that impression when paired with certain upstream components). Having said that, it doesn’t sound inherently “warm” either. So while I suspect that, for this issue, the tweeter isn't hurting, I agree with you that it probably isn't helping either.

02-06-11: Almarg
The one thing that occurs to me that has not yet been mentioned, and which I think factors into "warmth" significantly, is hall ambience, or the lack thereof.

This had not occurred to me, Al. I suppose part of the reason is that, when I think of “warmth,” I tend to think of a sound that is “intimate” or “immediate.” In other words, I think of a high ratio of direct to indirect sound, which would typically correspond to listening to a live event from a relatively close position. But that may be an idiosyncratic association on my part. Like you, Hifibri seems to have the OPPOSITE association:

02-05-11: Hifibri
To complicate things in absolute terms, the FURTHER you are from the source of live music, the 'warmer' the sound will be perceived. [emphasis added]

This makes me wonder whether you, or Hifibri, would say that studio recordings (i.e. those with few or no ambient cues) can’t sound warm?

I should mention that I don’t think anybody owns the term “warm,” so I’m not disputing the “proper” use of the word. I would also add that it’s perfectly normal that folks have different associations with the term, especially in light of the fact that, in this context, it is highly metaphorical. Nevertheless, it's useful for me to hear other people’s understanding of it, because that may provide clues to what’s missing in my own system.

Bryon
Following up on my previous post...

02-06-11: Almarg
I certainly do not think that replacing your XA-30.5 with a tube amp would be the right approach. I say that partly because of the Pass amp’s outstanding reputation, but also because, assuming that the impedance characteristics of your 1027be’s are similar to those of the 1037be, the higher output impedance of a tube amp would result in increased treble emphasis and de-emphasized lower mids and bass, counter to what you are trying to achieve.

I had the same thoughts, Al. If my speakers were a little more friendly to tube amps, then I would seriously consider replacing the Pass amp (even though I like it quite a bit). So, if I want to add a tube amp to the system, then I would need to consider replacing my speakers as well. I don't have any great objection to changing my speakers either, except for the cost associated with it. Like all crazy audiophiles, the only other speakers I think about are considerably more expensive than what I currently own. :-(

If possible, I would like to explore ways of adding warmth to the system that don't involve such large (and expensive) changes.

Bryon
the output impedance of an amp has to do with the damping factor. it has no relation to treble response.

i own a tube amp and there is no peak in the treble or dip in the midbass or lower midrange.

consider the cj mv 125. that amp would hardly be considered bright or lean. yet when compared with ss amps its damping factor is much lower.