What is “warmth” and how do you get it?

Many audiophiles set out to assemble a system that sounds “warm.” I have heard several systems that could be described that way. Some of them sounded wonderful. Others, less so. That got me wondering: What is this thing called “warmth”?

It seems to me that the term “warm” can refer to a surprising number of different system characteristics. Here are a few:

1. Harmonic content, esp. added low order harmonics
2. Frequency response, esp. elevated lower midrange/upper bass
3. Transient response, esp. underdamped (high Q) drivers for midrange or LF
4. Cabinet resonance, esp. some materials and shapes
5. Room resonance, esp. some materials and dimensions

IME, any of these characteristics (and others I haven’t included) can result in a system that might be described as “warm.”

Personally, I have not set out to assemble a system that sounds warm, but I can see the appeal in it. As my system changes over time, I sometimes consider experimenting more with various kinds of “warmth.” With that in mind…

Do you think some kinds of warmth are better than others?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
A slight clarification to my previous post:

In referring to ambience, my intent was to refer to the totality of hall effects, rather than to the sense of "air" with which that term is commonly associated, "air" primarily involving high frequency effects (as was stated earlier by others).

In fact I should probably have used the term "hall effects" instead of "ambience." I'm referring to the totality of the complex interplay that occurs in a hall between directly heard sound, and reflected sound that has been both frequency contoured and delayed by multiple increments of time. All of that, as I have perceived it in my concert-going experience, is a key factor in perceived sonic "richness," which I (and others earlier in this thread) correlate with "warmth."

Best regards,
-- Al
Almarg, Thank you for your explanation. I am in full agreement. By changing overtones you change the shape of the wave and the resulting sound. The most basic example is the sine wave and square wave at the same frequency.

As the OP indicated there are many factors that can contribute to the perception of warmth, none ‘better’ than the others. Some types can be good when they compensate for deficiencies elsewhere is a system, everything is a synergistic balancing act.

The term ‘warmth’ can be used to describe sound as being additive, subtractive, and a component of a neutral sound. Scientists who study such things will tell you that there is no such thing as cold, only the absence of warmth. An analogy using the most common meaning for the word warmth would be to determine an ideal room temperature, say 70 degrees. This would be your 'neutral' or live sound reference. By subtracting warmth you would cool the room, by raising the temperature you would warm it, but the ideal would still possess ‘warmth’. We can apply the term ‘warmth’ to describe a range of sound in the same ways. If a sound is cool, it lacks warmth and is unnatural. If it sounds neutral it has just the right amount of warmth and sounds natural or neutral. If it sounds too warm, then it is unnatural. Warmth can be used to describe naturalness of timbre.

We agree on the basic sonic character of ‘warmth’, but being an adjective, it can be used to describe a wide range of that character, both very minute, and very large differences. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the person using the word to ensure that the description of the degree of warmth is understood by the audience. The exact definition of any word will never overcome sloppy usage.
Onhwy61, Yes, audiophiles used the term 'warmth' before the 'advent' of digital. :)
FWIW, I think that when we attend many concert halls, especially large ones with many patrons, we are often exposed to "warmth". The same instruments can sound quite different; without an audience, in different rooms or even in different seats. Depending on your perspective "warmth" can be either natural or a by-product of a typical live listening experience.
Hi guys - Hifibri wrote in his last post "By changing overtones you change the shape of the wave and the resulting sound." As I have tried to explain, the actual overtones do NOT change.

Al, you are probably correct about the amplitude of them changing, I would need to get out my acoustics books to make sure. However, since these overtones we are speaking of are not audible to the vast majority of even highly trained ears, changes in their amplitude then would not be audible either, and they would be very minute in any case (though some would argue that this does not mean the brain wouldn't perceive the change somehow). The actual amplitude of the total sound of course has a far greater effect on the waveform. You bring up a very interesting question, though. How a musician's subtle changes in timbre affect the waveform is something I would need to look up (certainly these changes obviously effect the waveform somehow) - but I am not sure that my books go into that much detail. What I can say is that there is no way a musician can deliberately change the volume of a specific overtone in his sound, so even if you are completely correct, there is unfortunately no practical application of this for actual live performance.

Regardless of what the answers to these questions are, things like what Al terms "hall effects" have a MUCH greater effect on the perception of "warmth" (Unsound is perfectly correct in his last post), and the recording itself has an even greater effect. The design of the audio equipment also has much to do with it - for instance, to bring up Onhwy61's point, many designers of digital processors routinely omit all harmonics above the range of human hearing, claiming what the ear can't hear it won't miss. Many of us beg to differ, and it has been proven that the brain can detect frequencies above what the ear can hear. LOL, am I now getting dangerously close to arguing against my point? This is a fascinating discussion, indeed.