Disappointing Evening

I had some dinner guest's over last evening. I had my main system warming up just in case there was some interest from them in audio. I have a second system that was playing when they arrived. It's a Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 9000 that my inlaws gave me a few years back. Well soon enough a couple of them were commenting about the good music, so I asked if they would like to hear my pride and joy system, mostly all tube gear that (IMO) looks pretty cool with all the tubes lit up and sounds way better than the B&O stuff. No interest at all in the tube system and they hovered around the B&O loving the way the glass door opened and the arm moved to each CD. Boy was I insulted, all the time, money and energy I have in my tube system!
markpao
Markpao, You need more guests over!!! Eventually, someone will like your system and you'll have a new buddy, and we'll have another AudiogoN newbe that we can pour our advice into.
What if they did show interest and then wanted you to engage in homoerotic activity, I would say that you would be obliged.
I have no expectations for visitors or guests when playing the big system. The music plays. If there's a an epiphany it's splendid and if not, oh well. We are all exactly where we were before the music started. I'm comfortable with this hobby and don't need or want endorsements.

Frankly, half the fun is casting pearls before swine to see if they get it. If they do it's an evolutionary step, if not no energy is wasted. I like my system and my music regardless of other opinions. It's not quite profiling but it's a quick cut to the chase. Soul check? Whatever. I can't explain my attraction to music and gear so I spend less and less time trying. Regardless, I let the light shine and if someone else can relates that's great!
Showing a normal person your all tube system is like asking them do they want to see your coin collection. Most people won't care. Don't be insulted. It's not like you're interested in their carved ivory figurines.

What I've noticed is that people who like music don't pay attention to the equipment, but they get giddy when they see my music collection (either physical or computer files). Friends will spend time looking for specific recordings or will ask if I have something. It really puts a smile on their faces when I actually have some recording they haven't heard in years. Typically they say it sounds good, but they really aren't paying attention to the sound. It's about the music.

In my experience B&O makes pretty decent sounding equipment that has solid engineering behind it. They were one of the early proponents of moving coil cartridges, Dolby HX significantly advanced cassette recordings, they were one of the first to emphasis a speaker's phase performance and more recently they engineered the ICE amplifier modules. I think of them as a true audiophile company.