Hearing loss Temporary or more permanent?

Hi there So I got my system reasonably dialed enough to impress most folks (Which isnt saying much) I happen to have my system with my computer in the center for use as a media server and have my speakers just about a meter in front of me while I am at the computer and about 3 Meters at my Listening seat and am curious. I have been playing my music louder and louder lately and am noticing a temporary hearing loss that comes right back (Very minimal but I can feel it in my ears) I have done this before but my system has never sounded THIS clean and am now holding back to make certain I preserve one my most important sense aside from the all important Spider Sense

At what point and for how long playing music at not exeptionally loud (Nothing compared to the horrible car sytems I endured being stuck in for long times as a teenager) Any way its a valid question as I really want to preserve my hearing and I really want to rock out. I can go get A DB Meter if that helps. Thanks a million Toby
128x128systembuilder
Dbphd: Seems like you have a better grasp on this issue than most.

FYI: I set my Radio Shack meter at the C weighted/fast response levels, just like Stevecham. If I used the controls properly, I tried to hold the volume down to about 80-85 db continuously, with an average SPL of roughly, say 80db. However, for certain types of music, say classical, the SPL jumps all over the place, even though the "avergae" SPL might be in the low to mid 80s.

So my question is this: can you provide some safe guidelines when setting system volume, especially for classical music?? Thanks -- for all of us.
Bifwynne, as a general rule if it feels comfortable to you it's probably OK. If you think you're pushing it, turn the level down a bit. You might start by finding a level where soft jazz (e.g. Bill Evans), Bach, and Mozart feel right, then look at your attenuator to find a reference level. Peaks from that reference in more bombastic music (e.g. Mahler or Stravinsky) are unlikely to do any damage to your hearing. The OSHA guidelines are aimed more at the kind of continuous noise exposure found in a workplace. Bottom line: Use common sense; if it seems loud, it probably is.

db
Thanks again Dbphd. Funny you mention Mahler and Stravinsky, because last night, I listened to Mahler's 1st Symphony (the Titan) and Stravionsky's Le Sacre du Primtempt (sp?) (The Rites of Spring). Both are quite dynamic and have a SPL range of over 25db!!

Still, I lowered the gain!
My piano is 85 db (playing at normal velocity).

I find anything under 83 db to be non-realistic and non-involving. That said, I can listen to volumes lower in the mornings (even 75db) and be engaged, but after a day's work (office work, nothing loud), I need 85-90 db for the same involvement.
Why use C weighting on DB meter instead of A weighting? I thought A weighting was intended for audio systems that as it considers broader frequency range?