What does it take to have a revealing system?

I have to heard it said that a system is not revealing enough for a certain component to really show off what it can sound like.

What does it take to have a revealing system?
128x128glory
Your components have to be able to resolve detail. That is absolutely the first requirement IME. After that, room setup, and acoustical, mechanical and electrical tweaking make the difference, but the first requirement is resolution in the gear.

You can have a very enjoyable system that does not resolve musical info completely, of course.

My small experience suggest a rule of thumb: I can fall asleep while listening to an enjoyable system. I have a harder time falling asleep while listening to an enjoyable _revealing_ system.

It takes an across the board purchase of all new, high margin equipment, cables, power conditioning equipment, tweaks and accessories from the salesman who told you that.
You have to keep in mind a lot of the differences in new components come from the excitement of having a new device in the system. I'm not saying there are no difference in sound quality between components, there is, just that they are not always as pronounced as most think. Perception is a big part of the listening experience in my view.
Get a decent pair of headphones and a suitable amp.

There is no more practical way to reveal what is in the music.