Soundstage depth and width

Which one is more important? It is the depth to me, I don't tolerate flat sound.
inna
here is a definition of music derived from freedictionary.com/music:

"the art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a conhtinuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre".

note its sound in time not sound in place that is part of the definition. the location of the music is not part of the definition, so depth and width are artifacts. they constitute perspective when listening to music, they are not included in the definition of music.

Each sound was produced in space, and I consider it an audiophiles highest achievement to reproduce that element of space on playback.
Sound depth and width are important, but somewhat over emphasized by most audiophiles. Tonal accuracy and rhythmic command are far more important. Mono source material can be audiophile quality. Additionally, if depth and width were of paramount importance, then most audiophiles would be using systems with more than two channels since these multi-channel system can more accurately reproduce these effects.
Ebm, thank you for reminding us what you have. But what do you think of what we are talking about?
Mrtennis, you are alone here, with the dictionary. Perhaps you just don't quite understand the concept or simply need to remain argumentative.
Orpheus10, not to disagree with you, but I think you are a little too categorical in your statement. Highest achievements are difficult to reach in every component of music reproduction. But you might be right, I don't know.

There are times when I sound like a "know it all audiophile". There is a reason for this. 25 years ago, there were three well stocked "high end emporiums" in my area. I spent so much time auditioning, that my wife swore I was seeing another women.

One of the emporiums had seating like a small theater, and you could make yourself comfortable while listening to what the customers were auditioning. Each time they changed components, the new lineup was announced. I recall top of the line ARC and Thiel speakers that reproduced a sound-stage so realistic, that I wanted to walk up and kiss Carmen McRae. Someone came in and requested a Rotel amp; that's when it fell apart, although the other expensive components remained. That opportunity to hear so many different combinations of equipment is why I sound like a "know it all".

Music was my passion before I owned one single solitary record. My first record player was a "one box deal", and I enjoyed the music immensely; that's why I can agree with everyone, to some extent.

Enjoy the music.