Can I take American equipment to Europe?

Hello All,

I have a chance to move to Europe. Is it possible to take all my American gear (Martin Logan, Jeff Rowland, PS Audio, and others) to Europe and get some gizmo that will convert the electicity for me? Is there any loss of sonic quality?

Thanks,

Russ
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
i'm sure you've already done this, but just to make sure, double check to see if any of your equipment has a switch on the back to convert it that way - that's the easiest, obviously. then all you'd need would be a plug adapter.

i'd also shoot an email to the companies, that's some nice gear and it would be good to see what they say - especially the logans, they would seem the trickiest to convert.

best of luck.
Number 1 recommendation is to have it modified internally by the manufacturer or a very good technician using their instructions. Next would be to use a transformer from 220v to 115vm but for the gear you have, you will need at least 1200w, and it will probably cost >$600. Note each country has a slightly different plug and you will have to plug everthing into a 115v US distrubuter from the transformer. Get a Radio Schack 3 prong tester to be sure anything you plug into has the right grounding. The 50hz standard is only a problem for turntables without quartz lock freq. As audioquest4life, I have done this. Do NOT buy a crap walmart adapter, they only contain a dropping resistor, and don't even work on a hair dryer.
Buy an European PS Audio Power Plan that can take a 220v and convert it to 110v 60hz for your equipment.
Anything which is high-wattage will potentially be an issue (which may be why Jerico's wife had a problem). Hair dryers are about the most toxic appliances ever made. They consume at or near the recommended limit for many receptacles and one would need a mammoth step-down transformer to run one safely, and one that large would be so heavy as to be prohibitive to travel with.

Most audio equipment other than amplifiers are low-wattage. I don't know about your amps/speakers.

There are differences in transformers. Some hum. Bad ones hum a lot. Good ones don't. You can pay for quality. I note that some Japan-made ones are excellent. I use several for step-up duties (producing 120V from mains which give me 100V).

In your case, you will be stepping down, which is easier on transformers than stepping up.