Your Worst Audio Breakdown

Checking out the forum today and I saw mention of a posters' 1st breakdown, and another about a fella with a broken tape deck wondering about fixing it. He than tells us that 3 other parts of his rig are in need of repair (whoa!). Got me to thinking, in close to 30 yrs of being in this hobby, I ruined a cartridge (my fault!) and I blow fuses on my amp from time to time. That's it! I'm wondering; am I just extremely lucky or what!?

Equipment failure is the nightmare of any audiophile, what's been your experience with gear breakin' down?
128x128chazro
I have had my share of problems with buying used equipment, but we won't count those because once they were repaired I never had any other problems.

I was changing the digital cable between my transport and DAC when static electricity blew the output chip in the transport. Madrigal repaired it quickly and inexpensively.

My Audio Research M300 monos arced a tube which in turn blew little pieces of resistor all over the room which also damaged a trace on the circuit board.

Other than that I have had good luck in over 40 years of enjoying stereo equipment.
Worst was a Sony laserdisk player. It constantly failed, got sent in, got back and still had the same issue.
Got Pioneer LD and no problems...
Then next Sony biggest Wega, just went South. Never did get it fixed.
Still I have a love hate with Sony..

Most disappointing audio item was a Sony digital preamp, the very first one. Bells and whistles soon wore off. What a chunk of trash.

Most frustrating was a Counterpoint preamp.
I should have kept it though.. It really sounded wonderful when it worked.

The vast majority of stuff i have owned worked fine, never an issue from plenty of equipment from ARC, Bryston, Adcom..
My worst experience relates to a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp that developed a hum in the left channel. I contacted Chris Johnson who was very helpful in guiding me to isolate the problem as a bad selector switch on the back side of the amp for the left channel. I did not want to ship the one hundred pound beast to Canada and back for what I thought was a simple switch replacement. Chris provided me the part number for the switch so I ordered a pair from Mouser. A techie friend stepped up and did the repair and replaced both switches. Turns out the repair was a major undertaking which led to 7 hours of bench time.... unsoldered circuit board..... so forth. This repair was more complex than it needed to be for a simple selector switch. I sold the amp and never looked back.
My TEAC X-10 R2R, the play function stopped working. After 30 years of great fun. And of course just after I tuned down a decent offer of sale, my affection for it would not let it go. Had a amp go once, just started to smoke. And two dvd and cd recorders. Small potatoes compared too the R2R.

There was a poster once who stated he would upgrade his gear every five years, pending ones money for toys, not a bad idea. Accept if you have a few statement pieces.