Do you believe in Magic?

Audio Magic, that is.

Let's say that Magic is any effect not explainable by known physical laws. Every audiophile is familiar with debates about Audio Magic, as evidenced by endless threads about power cables.

I recently had an experience that made me question my long held skepticism about Magic. On a whim, I bought some Stillpoints ERS Fabric. I installed it in my preamp (which is filled with noisy digital circuitry) and a reclocker (also noisy) and...

Something happened. I don't know what exactly, but something. Two things in particular seemed to change... the decay of notes, and instrument timbres. Both changed for the better. But where did this change occur? In my listening room? Or in my mind?

If the change was in my listening room, then Magic exists. If the change was in my mind, then Magic does not exist.

One of the great Ideological Divides in audio is the divide between Believers and Skeptics. I honestly don't know if I'm a Believer or a Skeptic.

Do you believe in Magic?

Bryon
bryoncunningham
I used a liberal amount of ERS fabric, and I didn't notice a diminishment of high frequencies. That could be because of where I placed it, or if your hypothesis is correct, it could be because it merely removed some high frequency hiss.

I agree with your observation that some audiophiles perceive high frequency hiss as "air" or ambience. Personally, I tend to perceive it as noise.

In fact, with the ERS fabric installed, I can say that there is simultaneously LESS hiss and MORE ambience.

bc
Bryon and Al, just saw this thread. Fascinating and informative. You two, along with Atmasphere, have taught me more on this site than anyone. I always look forward to your observations and comments.
Thank you for those kind words, Learsfool. I very much enjoy your contributions as well. Having the point of view of a highly experienced musician is always informative. In addition to which, you are a true gentleman.
I second Bryon's response to your kind comments, Learsfool. And I've learned a great deal from your posts as well.

Best regards,
-- Al
Other types of materials used to absorbe RFi EMI digital hash inside equipment is Antistatic foam.
Years ago in Stereophile this tweak was mentioned by a fellow from Holland.
Others (in posts such as this) then preceeded to slam him as a quack.Anyway, I have used antistatic foam inside of a few items to good effect.
Especially an Adcom DAC.
Anyway, I can see ERS cloth being a similar product, it soaks up the radiated RFI EMI and lowers the noise floor, and allows more detail to be heard.