Do you believe in Magic?

Audio Magic, that is.

Let's say that Magic is any effect not explainable by known physical laws. Every audiophile is familiar with debates about Audio Magic, as evidenced by endless threads about power cables.

I recently had an experience that made me question my long held skepticism about Magic. On a whim, I bought some Stillpoints ERS Fabric. I installed it in my preamp (which is filled with noisy digital circuitry) and a reclocker (also noisy) and...

Something happened. I don't know what exactly, but something. Two things in particular seemed to change... the decay of notes, and instrument timbres. Both changed for the better. But where did this change occur? In my listening room? Or in my mind?

If the change was in my listening room, then Magic exists. If the change was in my mind, then Magic does not exist.

One of the great Ideological Divides in audio is the divide between Believers and Skeptics. I honestly don't know if I'm a Believer or a Skeptic.

Do you believe in Magic?

Bryon
bryoncunningham
Douglas_schroeder, actually, in my experience, it is uncommon that have experiences such as the ERS paper. I never liked it at all and made a valiant effort to get it to work. Usually, I am satisfied by a modest improvement if the tweak is not very expensive. At some point later I decide they aren't worth the effort. With quartz products, I basically gave up as requiring too much trial and error fiddling.
perhaps there is a simpler explanation of products which are initially perceived positively , but, after some duration are disliked.

the explanation is the essential unreliability of perception.
the thread initially mentioned the subject of stillpoints ers paper.

i use 4 letter size pieces--one on the power transwers of each vtl amp, one on the ps audio power wave transport, placed over the power supply and one on the cover of the ps audio perfect wave dac, placed over its power supply.

whether the application of the product makes a sonic difference can not be known or proven.

after reading 175 posts , i have concluded that since perception is unreliable and it is the means of interacting with our stereo system, all objective considerations, and arguments are academic.

the problem with critical listening is the potential inconsistency of perception.

what is really needed is a well designed listening test that is repeated 100 times.

what one hears one day, one may not hear on another day, and there is no way to assure certainty of hearing, even when corroborated.

my point is therefore, that the issue of magic is moot since aural perception is unreliable.
hi chadeffect:

i did not say what i believe in.

i said perception is unreliable and therefore the senses cannot yield knowledge.