Do you believe in Magic?

Audio Magic, that is.

Let's say that Magic is any effect not explainable by known physical laws. Every audiophile is familiar with debates about Audio Magic, as evidenced by endless threads about power cables.

I recently had an experience that made me question my long held skepticism about Magic. On a whim, I bought some Stillpoints ERS Fabric. I installed it in my preamp (which is filled with noisy digital circuitry) and a reclocker (also noisy) and...

Something happened. I don't know what exactly, but something. Two things in particular seemed to change... the decay of notes, and instrument timbres. Both changed for the better. But where did this change occur? In my listening room? Or in my mind?

If the change was in my listening room, then Magic exists. If the change was in my mind, then Magic does not exist.

One of the great Ideological Divides in audio is the divide between Believers and Skeptics. I honestly don't know if I'm a Believer or a Skeptic.

Do you believe in Magic?

Bryon
bryoncunningham
Perception is a poor choice of words. We know what we hear. We do not perceive what we hear.
Granted there are many factors that have an influence on what we hear. Mood being the most critical.
I believe an ABA test is the true test. Most are very familiar with the sonics of their system. Any change should be evident in opnes system. The term "Magic" may be just the wrong word to use. There is something going on. If it cannot be measured with the conventional means we have today then what is happening ? Only our own ears with our own system can we make any kind of judgement of such.
It is a personal thing. One size does not fit all. How can one say another is wrong ? It is their perception and frankly that is all that matters. If I believe such is happening then by golly it is. How we arrive at that conclusion is what is moot. Perception is in the eye of the beholder. Chew on that.
Hmmmm may be so however our perception is our only tool. What I perceive to be so is so. Ya know Mr Tennis just like a say all 6H30 applications suck. Not to my ears but maybe to yours.
whiole perception maybe our only way of evaluating sound, it is unreliable and is not knowledge.

hence one is dealing with probability of accurate sense perceptionss.

there is no certainty, no truth, only conjecture.
I wonder what Hayakawa would say about all of this if he were still alive.

It would probably go something like this:
The symbol is NOT the thing symbolized.
The map is NOT the territory.
The word is NOT the thing.

Classification, symbols, truth, context, inferences, judgement, etc. They all mean something different to each of us and they shouldn't.
‘Magic’ is the word I’ve been using to refer to something with a known effect but an unknown explanation. I chose the word ‘magic’ because, when you encounter something with a known effect but an unknown explanation, the experience can be similar to seeing magic tricks performed. I assume that is obvious from the discussion so far.

But I also chose the word ‘magic’ because it expresses a universal human tendency. Every child lives in a world of magical events. Every adult occasionally succumbs to Magical Thinking. And every culture has some form of magical beliefs. Both Ancient and Enlightenment philosophers believed that the hallmark of being human is to think rationally. From what I can tell, the hallmark of being human is to think magically.

There are of course exceptions. What one person experiences as Magic, a more rational or informed person may experience as Mechanism. But no matter how rational or informed you are, the pace at which we as individuals acquire explanations is far outmatched by the pace of science and technology. So there will always be things with known effects but unknown explanations.

Sure, everyone knows how to explain this.
But only some people know how to explain this.
And very few people know how to explain this.
And no one knows how to explain this.

In other words, Magic is here to stay.

IMO.

Bryon