Do you believe in Magic?

Audio Magic, that is.

Let's say that Magic is any effect not explainable by known physical laws. Every audiophile is familiar with debates about Audio Magic, as evidenced by endless threads about power cables.

I recently had an experience that made me question my long held skepticism about Magic. On a whim, I bought some Stillpoints ERS Fabric. I installed it in my preamp (which is filled with noisy digital circuitry) and a reclocker (also noisy) and...

Something happened. I don't know what exactly, but something. Two things in particular seemed to change... the decay of notes, and instrument timbres. Both changed for the better. But where did this change occur? In my listening room? Or in my mind?

If the change was in my listening room, then Magic exists. If the change was in my mind, then Magic does not exist.

One of the great Ideological Divides in audio is the divide between Believers and Skeptics. I honestly don't know if I'm a Believer or a Skeptic.

Do you believe in Magic?

Bryon
bryoncunningham
hi tbg:

i am an economist/psychologist in terms of education. i was an operations research analyst and computer consultant before i retired. i have an extensive background in mathematics and i took a logic course as well.

psychophysics underlies much of what wwe perceive and see.

sometimes it is impossible to provide an objective (measurement) component to explain what we hear. isthat a magical experience.

engineers can measure many things, but not evrything. so, measurement is not always correlated with perception.
Mrtennis wrote,

"psychophysics underlies much of what wwe perceive and see."

Really? How so? Please elucidate.

Thanks in advance.
Most of the illustrations are visual, but the key is that we don't know everything.
psychophysics is a discipline within the field of psychology.

its principles are applicable to detecting differences between the sound of components.

two terms to consider are adaptation level and differential threshold.

i'll try to be brief.

the differential threshold applies to detecting differences in spl, e.g. . how much of a change in spl is necessary to detect differences in loudness, varies from person to person.

adaptation level concerns the point at which the nervous system is no longer efficient, because neurons are firing more slowly, fatigue sets in and perception of differences suffers. there are actions to be taken to avoid reaching the adaptation level, otherwise, errors in judgment will occur.

i would prefer not to get too technical or sound like a lecturer.

i hope i have at least given an indication of the importance of these principles and anyone who sees value in their application should read about psychophysics in psychology text books.