Home Theatre Software: Insulting?

This may be just me but how often after you seen the "cabon copy" explosion riddled movie trailer and said to yourself "God is this stuff stupid or what" and even worse.

As a music listener how long would we put up with consistently poor quality software that offends our intellect?

Seems to me that the movie industry thinks we are just stupid apes willing to buy anything the Hollywood Marketing guys/gals can regurgitate at us. Seriously, think about this next time you see a totally pointless plot but with your rerun "Take" 865.95 of bombs and flashes.

On the other hand where would Casablanca or Citizen Kane be without that great 7.1 sound :)?

I saw a bumper sticker a few years ago that read: "The more you know the less you need" . In the case of movies, maybe another sticker could read "The more you think the less you are willing spend in front of the screen watching carbon copies". Once in a while it is fun to watch a good boom boom if there is something to fill the space between the boom boomies such as Saving Private Ryan.

I am probably missing something here but why is home theatre worth ten's of thousands of dollars of our discretionary income?

Maybe that old song "In the year 2525 we will not need our minds, will not need our eyes...." was overly kind with respect to the date.

nanderson
LOL, I was only, tongue in cheek, trying to think of a boom boom recent movie on the fly that was a slight cut above Rambo. Dumbing down and fatting out (a national crisis to the Human Services Secretary) seem to go hand in hand. What you do not use you loose. Simple as that.

If Hollywood and its government proxy has its way the only thing we will be developing is a dangerous approach to handling problems here and abroad. In fact, somebody high in government used sayings like "Make my day" (1980s) and "Wanted Dead or Alive" (2001) citing Hollywood lines when discussing foreign policy issues. It is no surprise that lines like this were used since: 1.) The highest government official saying them knew the American public pays more attention to and internalizes Hollywood "Grade School Speak" 2.)The sayings seem to "say it all" while saying nothing at all (constructive)

I can not imagine rationalizing a $30,000-$60,000 video projector to subject yourself to a paid process of brain dulling where the only brain stimulus is when the synapses fire when a bomb virtually goes off in your living room. If you are like me I have had enough bombs and talk about them as a solution in the last 6-months (when does slugging another person in the mouth with a bomb or ENRON type raping of a country make them say "hey I like you and I have no reason to hate you"). Something about Hollywoods message seems incredibly dangerous let alone a waste of time.

I want more thinking in this country before we have to deal with real bombs. Music is the universal language and allows for reflection, relaxation, expression, and fun. I rather live a life than watch a Hollywood Drama Majors version of one

HOLLYWOOD?!!...Don't get me started!!!!The most audacious "stunt" is the amount of money these actors make and the way in which its publicised/revered. Don't people get tired of paying nearly $10 a pop to pay these outrageous salaries? Do they ever stop to think of what types of people these actors are?
Of course the same applies to sports figures, the most reprehensible of all being Mike Tyson
Ok I feel better...
The worst part about these inane movie plots is that they continue to turn up again and again. I notice it more as I get older. I'm 31, and a lot of the previews I see are just recycled plots from earlier movies. I'll see a preview and think, "Wait, I saw basically the same movie when I was eighteen." And now, with the heavy focus group testing of movies before they are released, this problem will only get worse. No one wants to take a chance on a truly original script (because the audience may not like it), so everyone just re-formulates what worked in the past.
"Home Theatre Software: Insulting?" sounds like an oxymoron to me! ;~)

doug *doesn't do movies* sedon