CJ Preamp help please

I am seriously contemplating an upgrade on my preamp which is currently a cj pv10 to either a premier 14 or premier 17. One issue is I can't audition a 14 in my system since it is discontinued. Also, I've heard the 17 isn't the typical cj sound, which concerns me because I like that.. I would mate it with Meridian fronted, Classe, Thiel, and Kimber kctg ic's. Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated...
pops
I have owned a CJ Premier 17LS and am very satisfied with its sound and its look. You can read the reviews in Stereophile on May 2001 and audioreview.com.
I've owned a Premier l4 since l996 and recommend it highly. The l7 would have to be significantly better (or I'd have to get a really good deal on it) to entice me to change. Except for an occasional tube change (and the last 6GK5s I bought cost just $6 each) it has been a great-sounding, flawless performer. I've seen them for well under $2K here, which IMHO is a real buy.
I upgraded from a pv10 to 17ls about a year ago. I would highly recommend the 17ls much more detailed than the pv10. I have an MF2500, thiel 3.6s with audioquest cables and a phillips cd80 player.