Opinions needed; which is a better choice and why?

My integrated amp died so I am now in the market for a replacement. I have always owned integrated amps, but have contemplated an PreAmp/Amp combo. I am interested in what is a better choice a high quality integrated amp or a preamp/amp combo? What are the pros and cons of either? In addition I would like to spend the same amount of money with either choice does this factor into the equation?
Thanks
meby
Meby VMPS is in the process of upgrading web page been at it for 2 weeks now. If you email them a note you'll get photos and description of products. Like you i'm on a limited budget and my research in speakers has narrowed my choice to 2 as of yesterday, heard 1 and now its down to 1 the VMPS RM1 (if i could get a used Quad 988 , that would probably be #1 choice but they are very new and nobody selling) I talked to Ljgj he's heard the RM2 ($2500) says they very nice. I'm not sure what the components are in the Prima but i asked them how does the Prima sound compared to Capitole and they said "like a little Capitole" Heck! I'll take the "little Capitole" for (new Price ?) vs. $8K Cap.!! I think has tubes. And yes the Kora is called Explorer. Look for used Acoustic Zen Copper interconnects. Speaker wire from Home Depot(90 cents a ft.!!). Probably a tad more than $4K but lets see if any other Audiogoners who can help you in your choices. There are lots of used stuff to choose from , these are just my picks. BTW i'll second Buckingham's advice Stay away from (most) HiFi shops!!!!
Yeah I know what you mean on so called high end shops, even when I find one who carries the brand I like I do not trust the salesmen. I can not tell you how many times while auditioning speakers I have caught salesman having a sub on and not mentioning it till I call them on it. Heck the other day, one had an extra set of speakers and a second amp running. I may not be an audiophile but I am not an idiot! My other favorite is when you go in to audition their lower line equipment and they say you don't want that it's garbage and steer you straight to their most expensive stuff. My question to them is, if it is garbage why do you carry it then? I do not know what those types of salesman are thinking. Even if those dealers carry what I want, I would never give them my business. Although I have to admit I had found two good dealers in TX, unfortunately I no longer live there.
Well I am narrowing it down a bit. I started auditioning yesterday with the Rogue Tempest with Vandersteen 2CEsig and a Linn Genki player and Audioquest cable and interconnects. I was a little disappointed with this combo although the sound was not unpleasent there seemed to be no soundstage and the treble was almost none existent.
I then listened with the Vandersteen's replaced with ProAc Tablette Reference 8's and the difference was night and day. The Rogue came alive and the sound stage became almost as deep as it was wide and there was much more air surronding the instruments. I guess maybe the Vandersteen's are a bad combo with the Rogue since they both are a tad bit laid back. The ProAcs sounded even more incredible with the Rogue gear when we threw into the mix a Vandersteen 2WQ sub and rolled the ProAcs off at 80 to the sub. The sound stage became massive, and the ProAcs began to sing when that little mid driver did not have to worry about bass and the sub blended in beautifully.
Then just for the hell of it I listened to the ProAc Tablette Reference 8's being driven by an all Audio Research system composed of the AR CD3, AR LS25MKII, and the VT 200MKII Monos and I was blown away! If I had an unlimited bank roll I would have bought that combo right then and there. This was my first experience with AR since I was always told their new equipment is High Rez and I tend to shy away from that since my ears are sensitive to brightness. I never bothered to audition AR equipment and man I did not know what I was missing.
I must say since I have a real world budget (although after yesterday it has gone up) and I am contemplating an LS8MKI or MKII with a Rogue 88 power amp or even the Rogue mono 120s. Has anyone tried this combo before?
Also are there any other tube componenets that sound similar to the new AR equipment, which is tending towards being analytical and having that inner detail, without that massive price tag?
Thanks,
Mike
The Rogue 99 Preamp is incredible, you may want to give that a listen. The rogues really sound great. I have had a similar experience listen tto the Vandersteen 2's with any electronics, overwarm and diffuse.
Did you dealer have a Mgnum Tempest. The regular Tempest is a good deal but their Magnum is on another level altogether and an incredible bargain.
Chelillingworth,
No my dealer only had the standard Tempest. He did have the Magnum version of the 66 and the Magnum version of the 88 but the standard 99 and monos. I will have to go back for another session. Is there really that big of a difference to justify the extra $500 for the Magnum upgrade? What is the greatest improvement that you hear with the Magnum version over the standard?
Also what speakers are your running with your Rogue equipment?