Best preamp for Audio Research VT100mkI

I just got a used VT100MKI and was wondering which preamp would work best. I can only spend about $1000.00 or less. Thanks for the help...
demar
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like most of the units mentioned are tube design. Are there any solid state preamps that would work well? I've heard good things about the Adcom 750 designed by Nelson Pass. Any other suggestions or experiences. Thanks..
Demar, the Audio Research LS 9 ans LS 3 are both Solid state units and within you range, Some of the other units mentioned are hybred designs that don't use many tubes, the LS 1 only uses one 6922. If you are interested in phono at all the SP 9III and SP 14 are great choices and within your budget, the 9 uses two 6922 and the 14 uses one. Audio Research pre amps work very well with Audio Research amps. There is a synergy there.Some of the others might be great too but you can be pretty safe in my experience matching ARC to ARC.
Hello,

I read so much here about the LS2. I too am a huge ARC fan but this product was such a disappointment. After having enjoyed so much incredible musical enjoyment from the SP8 and SP10 preamps, to finally hear the LS2 years later was such a huge step backward. Yes, frequency extremes and resolution were improved with the LS2, but the musical presentation was gone....what a major disappointment. And the exact same was found to be true for the SFL-2. So much for Stereophile Class A ratings!

The VT100 is a very very fine amp. Putting an LS2 with it would be a major waste. You limit your budget to under $1k which ultimately means your investment in the VT100 will not be realized. I feel it makes more sense to hold on to what you have rather than compromise on something too early. Save more money so you can get a more appropropriate preamp.

Of all I have read above, the Audible Illusions and other non-ARC recommendations make the most sense. Even the LS15 does not have the ability to show the VT100's potential. Nor does the LS22. Only when you step up to the LS5 will that magic appear as it was with the older SP series....no, not the SP14! And after hearing the LS3 briefly in the same system as the LS2, this too had such a 2-dimensional presentation.

Mixing CJ with ARC products result in not the best of both but a lack of synergy. But I would clearly give a Counterpoint preamp, the SA3000 a serious consideration as the AI Mod 3. Otherwise, you could be quite shocked at what an older SP8 might do for you. Having ARC upgrade caps and other components in that could quite possibly knock a lot of new products out of contention.

If I were you, I'd save another $800-1200 and keep my eyes out for a used LS5. I owned a MK II for 6 years and loved it. I now own the MK III and this fortunately has all the previous version's incredible musicality but removes the upper frequency sibilance and edgyness that made it less than perfect.

Best of luck to you.

John
I have owned the LS2 and LS2b: and VT100 andVT100 MKII, among other other ARC preamps and amps. The LS2 linestage is a large and significant sonic improvement from the preceding SP14 phono/line stage preamp...especially in transparency. Unfortunately, the Sovtek tube is a limiting factor in its sound. If digital is your source,a small investment in a Siemens 7308 or Amperex 7308 can make a very significant improvement in the LS2 preamp. The Audible Illusions is a very good sounding unit, but requires 4 6922/7308 type tubes.