US/Canada Customs Fees

I am considering a purchase of a used amp from Canada, value about US$4000. If I had it shipped UPS to the Canadian border, picked it up in Canada and carried it through US Customs, what kind of fees would I expect to pay to Customs (duties, taxes, etc)? Thanks.
coryc
I just had a DAC shipped from Canada, by UPS, and UPS sent me a bill for $29 for "brokerage service charges". UPS is notorious for padding their profits in this way, and should be avoided like the plague in cross-border shipping, IMHO.
Tom is correct - use FedX. USPS insured parcel post won't ding you either. er, Canada post that is...
Do a search of the forum archives - this topic has been covered quite exhaustively.
Thanks for the responses. Actually this is a specific topic that I have not seen discussed on this forum. I will restate the question.
I am asking about carrying and declaring used, private sale items across the border from Canada to US (ie in the back seat of my car). If I purchased a used audiophile item with value of US$4000 (made in Canada), what fees if any should I expect to pay at the border crossing? I guess this question is directed at those of us who live near the border. Thanks again.
the only fee- carrying it over will be a brokerage fee which is peanuts compared to the cost of the amp. ensure it is made in Canada or US
I just read on US Customs website that they will collect a duty based on declared value. First $400 is exempt. The next $1000 (up to $1400) will have a duty of 1.5%. Anything over $1400 will have a different rate depending on location. The exemption can be doubled to $800 if you travel with a US buddy. God this is a great country.
Any other first hand experiences?