US/Canada Customs Fees

I am considering a purchase of a used amp from Canada, value about US$4000. If I had it shipped UPS to the Canadian border, picked it up in Canada and carried it through US Customs, what kind of fees would I expect to pay to Customs (duties, taxes, etc)? Thanks.
coryc
I just read on US Customs website that they will collect a duty based on declared value. First $400 is exempt. The next $1000 (up to $1400) will have a duty of 1.5%. Anything over $1400 will have a different rate depending on location. The exemption can be doubled to $800 if you travel with a US buddy. God this is a great country.
Any other first hand experiences?
from my personal experiences, if you buy gears from US and ship it into Canada for perosnal use, you still have to pay so called "brokerage fee". I was charged by ups.
did this experience concurrent with yours?
thanks.
I purchased a Minidisk recorder from a Canadian seller value under $300, shipped UPS, when the UPS came to my door they charged me an extra $50.
Same story-Bought a CD player from Canada and got a $46 UPS bill,in addition to my shipping costs.The seller denied any responsibility in the matter although he was a dealer.
The truth is out there somewhere!
Coryc
Have you tried taking the amp over to the US yet ? I work in the states, but live in Canada. I can easily bring the equipement accross any time in my car, but what do they charge you for taxes or dutie if the products are made in US/Canada ?