EAD PM 2000 or Theta Dread?

Current set-up: EAD sig 5.1 preamp; EAD PM 2000; Panasonic rp91 DVD. Would a would the dreadnaught be a more musical choice for a 75% music/25% movies system? BTW, def tech bp2000's mains, etc. I'd love to hear from those who have owned both amps. Thx! Dave
128x128makofkalaw
I currently have the Signature and the a 20amp PM2000. I too am 75% music and 25% movies. I have heard the Dreadnought with my speakers which currently both the Aerial 10T's and Magnapan 3.5R. The Dreadnought is a fine 5 channel amp and few can dispute that, but so is the PM2000! Your biggest improvement would not be in changing your amp, but in your speakers. The Def. Tech are great HT speakers, but not in the same level as your amp and processor.

I have also played with a tube preamp and it does add another level of enjoyment to music.

Just my thoughts.

Jimmy
agreed with Jimmy- however I have the Dreadnaught, and haven't looked back- if you are more into 2-channel, the Dread will probably be best- for HT, most likely the PM2000, but either would be OK
Dave...I agree with Jimmy. Going to the Dreadnaught (although a fine amp) will not be an improvement over the EAD PM2000. The PM2000 is the most musical and dynamic multichannel amp I have heard, EXCEPT for the Simaudio Titan, which outperforms both the Theta and the PM2000, IMHO. The Simaudio Titan is the new "king" and currently THE multichannel to beat, IMHO. As Jimmy stated, the Deftech speakers are fine for HT, but NOT 2 ch music reproduction (they were never truly designed to be a "music" speaker, but for dedicated HT). Good luck...Mike
Another vote for keeping the PM2000. I haven't heard the SimAudio but I have heard TONS of 2 channel amps in the $3-4000 range that don't sound as good as the PM2000 for music.
Have not heard the Theta in my system, but own the pm 2000 and agree that it is a great amp period! 2-channel or 5-channel if you own the EAD I can't see replacing it with a Theta for more money! Rick