Bi Amping... worth it?

I'm not really sure how much of a difference bi amping would make in my system:

--Aerius i (there are two sets of speaker posts on the back... )
--VTL IT 85

the review in stereophile said that biamping really opened up the sound. But I don't really listen to my music that loud... I mean, it's loud for me! but i have yet to turn the volume dial past midnight....

bi amping with the IT 85 is easy though, and if i found a used ST 85 (which is already matched to be used with the IT 85... i wouldn't need a crossover?), it could be a cheap <1K upgrade.

i could spend that much on cables!
128x128dennis_the_menace
Yes, it would be worth it (in my not so humble opinion).

If you got an electronic crossover, you would have to alter your speakers. It is expensive to do it right, so I would just start with passive bi-amping. (The improvement if done right is mind-boggling!)

Richard
Drrdiamond,

What is the difference between "passive" biamping and (I'm assuming) "active" biamping?

VTL said that no crossover is needed, because the IT85 and ST85 are "gain matched". Don't know what that means.

When you say "the improvement, when done right, is mindboggling"... how would you do it incorrectly? If I got an ST85, I would run the "high end" on both speakers with the IT85 and the "lowend" on both speakers with the ST85, right? what else should I consider?