Maggie 3.6 amplification concern

I realize there has been several threads about amps for 3.6's but most everyone insists that you need high power solid state. I am curious if anyone has tried less power? I am thinking of using 120 watt tubed mono's and others feel that you need 500 watts minimum to make them come to life. I would really prefer to stick with tubes, and I don't paricularlly care for some of the high wattage solid state amps that are out there. I just can't imagine that the BAT vk-60 mono's won't drive them well, I could be wrong though. Would it be better to get a slightly less quality amp with more power(i.e. bryston 14b-sst)? Any thoughts would be great, but please only if you have experience with more then just the amp you own. Thanks in advance for any help.
tireguy
Sean,

First of all, have you yourself tried either of the units I mentioned in your own system?

Secondly, as you must know, all tube amps and preamps produce even order harmonic distortion -- though I would hardly misconstrue that their design goal. Naturally some units produce more distortion than others.

Thirdly, as much as I enjoyed your 2nd-hand sensationalization of some guy named Treavor's personal distortion measurements on the X-10D, I must dismiss them entirely because you did not state the test conditions, the signal level, or even the frequency at which the distortion was measured. I seriously doubt that the X-10D produces anywhere near 10% distortion under most operating conditions. MF would have never released the unit and Stereophile would not have endorsed it as a "Class C" component a few year ago.

As for the Z-man, I personally use that unit and have observed a very minor loss of fine detail along with a generally smoother and more musical presentation. I can't say that I know of ANY high-end tube preamp (no matter how expensive) that doesn't do the exact same things to some degree. And some of them color the signal far more than the Z-man.

In the world of high end audio, folks often pay premium prices for such colorations -- though they would say this even-order distortion you speak of makes the sound more musical and natural sounding. Go figure. :)
I am using an ARC VT100 MKII with my MG 3.5 with excellent results. Great slam, bass extension and robustness.
All of the above recommendations are worthy of your considerarion. I too have the Maggies. I listened to many very well regarded amps in my home. I listened for the best sound quality and bought the McIntosh MA-6500.

I had it side by side with the Plinius and the Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista, and I liked the McIntosh the best. Ad in the phenomenal features and build quality and the choice became easy.

The McIntosh plays louder, cleaner, more musically with less strain than the others I tried. Mac dealers will also arrange a home audition. I am very satisfied & can say the Mac was worth every penny. It's also gorgeous with the lights turned down!

Best Regards & Happy Listening,
hififile
I currently own a pair of Maggie 3.6s. For about five months, I drove them with a pair of BAT VK60SEs. I know that the 60s lack the power usually recommended for Maggies, but they are very high current. They worked well. Then I decided to add a BAT VK500 to drive the bass. So I now have a biamped system with a VK60SE monoblock driving each of the speakers and the VK500 driving the bass of both speakers. The improvement in sound has been phenomenal: not only much better bass, as one would expect, but superior dynamics, resolution, and soundstaging. In short, addition of the 500 has literally transformed the sound of the Maggies. I might add that driving the speakers with the 500 alone (biwired to each speaker) reduces the tonal quality and, more important, eliminates the magical "bloom" that comes with a tube amp.
Jim_k What active cross over did you end up using? I am using a VK-500 right now and am pleased but would like more body/texture from the system- which I have only heard from tube amps. I am seriously thinking of using the Wolcott's but am unsure if that will satisfy me.