Should Class A Amps be left on??

Ok- Audiogon members need some advice here. Should Solid State Class A Amps be powered all the time? Have heard two school of thoughts on this. Apparently from what I have heard this is a moot question for Class A/B amps due to the usual low biasing of A/B Amps. From what I have been to learn so far Class A Amps should be left continously on.
ferrari
Both tube and solid state amps can reach a stable operating temperature in about 15 minutes. I see no reason to leave the amp on when no one is listening just to save the warmup time. The electricity alone is enough to justify this. Didn't your parents teach you to turn off the light when you leave a room? Same goes here (and probably multiplied by a small factor if your amps are like mine: BAT VK-60). Just a few years ago we were all worried about using up the earth's resources. Whatever happened to that?

If you want to speed up the warmup process, just put a space heater under the amp. Then you only need to wait five minutes.
We in California get our electricity from hamster power, and it is very expensive. :-)

Turn the Class A stuff off... It's not like we need heaters ;-)

KF
I keep my solid state amps on 24/7 unless I am going out of town. The soundstage really opens up after they have been on about an hour. I turn off my tube pre-amp between sessions. It seems to warm up fairly quickly, plus I don't want to burn up my NOS tube set.

If you notice a difference and don't want to wait then leave them on all the time. If you have heat/power concerns or ocassional listening habits, then you may want to switch them on in advance of your session.

Be aware that warm up can also be significant when auditioning new equipment.

On a side note, I have 22 Bryston amps at my work that have been on for 10 years straight without failure.

hope this helps,

Stewart
From a lifespan viewpoint, any heat is bad. Thermal cyclic failure is logrithmically dependant on power (half the power = 100 times more cycles before failure) so especially high power amps should not be turned on and off too often. But, if it is on all the time, the cycling effect is decreased because when you turn the volume up from idle, the device temp is not starting from room temp which increases your device lifespan compared to cold starts. The happy median point is very hard to find due to its dependancy on many factors like circuit design, layout, device type, bias, heatsink, size, weight, etc.

That said, some designs (like emitter-follower and low or zero feedback) can have thermal issues after being on for a long time like bias error which will degrade performance over time especially if extreme care in hotspot minimization was not taken. I would ask the manufacturer as to what to do (although they may be reluctant to tell you that they did not design for full thermal steady-state). If everything was taken into account in the amp design - there should be no problem in leaving it on all the time, save higher electric bill.

But as for me, I stay away from class A due to thermal problems (as I said - any heat is a problem) and because designers who like the concept of "pure" class A often tend to oversimplify the circuit to the extent that it cannot take care of itself in the long run or in extreme situations. I am always amazed how many high-priced amps have little to no protection circuits in the name of clean and pure sound, which I think is a very dumb idea. Arthur