Equipment Break-in: Fact or Fiction

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that all of the manufacturers' and users' claims of break-in times is just an excuse to buy time for a new users' ears to "adjust" to the sound of the new piece. Not the sound of the piece actually changing. These claims of 300+ hours of break-in for something like a CD player or cable seem outrageous.

This also leaves grey area when demo-ing a new piece as to what it will eventually sound like. By the time the break-in period is over, your stuck with it.

I could see allowing electronics to warm up a few minutes when they have been off but I find these seemingly longer and longer required break-in claims ridiculous.
bundy
Redkiwi,

First of all I dont appreciate your words directed
at me. I was simply describing MY experience which
YOU had nothing to do with. So you wouldent really
have ANY IDEA about it would you? You can guess all
you want... you will be running in circles the rest
of your life... It sounds like youve been at it awhile.

I was trying to throw some REAL possiblilities out there
that can be MEASURED. That is why we have devices to
measure so we dont have to rely on Kiwifruits's brilliant
mind distorting deductions.

I didnt come to this forum to have my integrity and
thoughts questioned by someone who doesnt know me or
my equipment so i would APPRECIATE you not doing that.
I really dont think anyone here would appreciate that.

Oh and by the way even measurement devices drift and have
to be re-calibrated.

One interconnect cable pair that I tried actually got worse with usage if that makes you naysayers feel any better? Or do you not believe that either since I didn't have my trusty distortion analyzer telling me what I'm hearing? Jeez Louise - we play music to LISTEN to it, not to MEASURE it with instrumentation for cryin' out loud.
Spl's insulting demeanor contributes nothing useful here & only serves to negate any possible credibility that may have been initially perceived.
Measure THIS! ;-)
When somebody calls me a liar i take it seriously.
Wouldent you Bob? Did you read what he wrote? It
was totally uncalled for.

Is that a new one? Never heard that before.
Spluta, you clearly take yourself very seriously - you mistake me for someone that was responding to your post - I was not.

I am at a loss to know which of my words were directed at you, because I cannot remember reading your post(s). Nothing you wrote in any of your posts was in my head when I wrote my post.

Frankly you flatter yourself when you say I called you a liar. I can assure you I called you nothing and did not give the idea a second's thought. All I can assume is that you found my post contradicted yours and then for some reason believed I meant to make a personal attack on you. What I did was try to describe my beliefs and why I believe them. Is that OK with you? If your reading of my post drew you to the conclusion I was belittling your opinion then I apologise for my clumsiness, but there was no intent.

Without going back and reading your earlier posts I expect it was my term 'measurement freaks' that did it? If it was not that then I am at a loss to understand what has offended you and you will have to explain. Perhaps I should go and read your posts and see if I can work it out. If it was the 'f' word, then I have to admit the word 'freak' is insulting so withdraw it. How about 'measurement zealot'? Perhaps still too negative. 'Measurement guys' just lacks a certain ring to it, if you know what I mean.

On the subject of measurements, as Bob says, the intention of most of us in this hobby is to enjoy listening with our ears. If measurement helps identify which equipment will be better or worse for that purpose, then it has value. I think that shelf life past several years ago, except to assist equipment designers. So far I am unconvinced of the connection between audible abberations and measurements, with most modern gear having a level of competence that goes well beyond the distinctions that measurement appears able to identify.

What I find annoying is the fact that 'measurement guys' repeatedly insist on spoiling the party here by interrupting the sharing of experiences and opinions, by entering with a "I'm an electrical engineer (pause for oohs and aahs), and my text books don't tell me about what you just said so it must be wrong." And no, Spluta, relax - this is not directed at you. I have no idea whether you ever said anything of the kind. It is directed generally at the several who take that position.
Now I'm really confused. I just skim-read Splutas posts and didn't find anything obvious that I even disagreed with let alone contradicted in my post. You are going to have to help me here Spluta.