do you have a sperate audio and HT system?

Hello all.

I was wondering how many people have two seperate systems...one being set-up for two channel audio listening...and one for HT viewing/listening.

Myself...I neither have the money nor the room for two seperate systems...so I take advantage of what I got. My audio pre-amp has a HT-ByPass switch which I use...this way I can use the HT reciever when watching a movie...and when it's 2 channel time...well...then I hit the by-pass switch and only have my 2 channel components at work. For me this is a solution that seems to work...sure, I know it's a compromise...but one I'm willing to live with.

Do you have seperate systems? or integrated? or...if you have integrated...do you hope to, someday, go with two seperate systems? any other thoughts? comments?

thanks all...take care.....

.....enjoy the music!

click here to see my system
gonefishin
thanks for the input so far.

I guess, ideally, it would be better to have seperate systems...the one thing I am not willing to change is the room. I have my main (and only) system in my livingroom. This is a big reason why the systems are integrated. This is a place where my wife and I can sit down and relax...watching Tv or listening to music. The room is a place where I am comfortable...although it is less than perfect with several windows and hardwood floors (tho some room treatments did help it tremendously.

I will be done with a set of speakers I'm building soon...so, I guess I can split my system up if I wanted too...but I don't. I'll probably end up moving my current fronts to the rear and my new speakers to the front.

see how it goes ;)

thanks again fer your input
I agree with the two seperate systems. Since putting in my new system 3 years ago, I have come to realize the compromise I made in 2 channel listening. I went with a Pre/Pro to handle both 2 and 5 channel. I have a 2 channel amp for the mains and a 3 channel amp for the center surrounds and sub. While this works real well, it is not up to a good true 2 channel system. So I have been slowly researching and changing to a more 2 channel friendly system. I have decided to add a more "musical" 2 channel SS amp, a tube pre with an EPS (external processor loop) for video, and I am adding a true tube cd player so I don't use my combo cd/dvd player for 2 channel. My Pioneer Elite DV09 does a good job with music but not nearly as well as other CD players out there. I am also changing my processor to a more simple but up to date unit that has a second zone for multi room use. Since I am replacing my main 2 channle amp, I now have a great 2 channel amp to run with a Niles speaker controller to take over the duties of my multi room speaker systems that has previously been run with a Sony reciever. This has worked well since it is mostly background music, but now this system gets the benefits of my other upgrades.

I am still in the process of deciding on the preamp, cd player and processor so they shall remain nameless for now, but I will let you know what I decide and how it all works out. Meanwhile it is fun to shop, knowing good things are coming soon.....

Happy listening.
Have 2 separate systems....
The Ht system is also an excellent Solid State musical system... with a Krell kav 300 cdp and Aragon Palladium monoblocks to Mirage OM9s... very nice and powerful....
The tube system consists of a Sonic Frontiers sfs 80 with kt90 tubes from upscale audio and a arc ls7 with infinity caps fed by a Rega p3 and Classe cdp3. Speakers are
Mirage M5si...
Definately a warmer more musical system due to the tubes and vinyl setup... but i love the SS system equally.
Depends on my mood... I prefer to listen to hard music on the SS system and detailed or long listening music on the
tube setup...
Happy listening,
Joe
Custom Audio LLC
GF,

If you remember from a couple of years ago, I was also an advocate of your type of integrated system. I've done exactly as you have and had a nice 2-channel system with an HT bypass loop to add on an HT receiver. It worked very well and is a very good idea for any 2-channel person who would like to add HT to their room. My suggestion, as it has been for a few years, is to build the best 2-channel system you can, then add an inexpensive quality receiver for HT duties. The surround speakers don't have to be very expensive either, as the amount of information that is directed to them is limited.

That said, I recently seperated my systems. They reside in the same rack, but I put 3 Jamo A510 "Art" speakers high across the front wall so they would be out of the way of my 2-channel speakers. They are placed much wider than my 2-cannel speakers and provide a wider sound for movies. The other nice thing about it is now all 3 of my front speakers are identical.

For anyone interested in 2-channel music, but wanting decent HT in the same room, an integrated system works just fine and it is much less expensive than trying to build 2 independant specialized systems. You will have un-compromised 2-channel music and adequate HT.

Enjoy,

TIC
I have a combined system -- I use a Channel Islands passive preamp for 2-channel, and run the front channel outputs from my Lexicon DC-1 into the passive for HT listening. That way, no gain matching issues -- just turn the passive volume to max, and you're good to go.

That said, I WOULD have two systems if I had another room to spare . . . . sigh . . . .

Pat