HELP: I need a solid state amp with a tube sound

I am very much into tube amplifiers, but it seems that they need alot more maintenance than SS amps do. Is there an amp out there that will get a good tube sound, but with low maintenance of an SS amp? I am working on my budget and I will probably spend about 2500 for it. I already have a tube pre-amp that I like, a Zen ZTPRE, and does a good job for my needs.
matchstikman
I have determined that the sound I like is the warm mellow slightly dark one very similar to tube sound. The SS amps that fall in this catergory are (WRT family sound): CJ, BAT, Pass, Classe, McIntosh. There are surly more but these are the ones I know. I don't really like the YBA integre (DT or passion - heard them both). I perhaps had too high hopes from all the hype they seem to get but I thought they were similar: thin and a little bright. BUT this is only my opinion - it was just not my type of sound but I realize with the right system they may be perfect. Arthur
I just went through this a month ago. There are no SS amps that sound like tubes. You need to be more specific in what type of sound you are looking for when you say tube sound. I compared over twelve popular SS amps in the $3K - $6K price range. There was a recent review of the Spectron Musician II amp where the reviewer said it sounded like their BAT VK-75SE, no to my ears, I had them side by side. No even close in my sytem.

If you are looking for a warm sounding SS amp, Aragon, Belles 150A, Pass x or Alpha (you need to hear these to determiine which one you prefer), McCormack DNAs are very good amps that are no harsh sounding.

Hope thins helps.
You might want to add Music Fidelity to your list. These are a Brittish SS design that I heard driving much more expensive speakers (the Avalon Opus), and provided a very involving and musical presentation compared to Spectral SS amps that cost 4 times as much. My experience has been that musicality comes at the expense of resolution.
The Rowland Model 2, Concentra or Concentra II (the last two integrated) are good options. I have had numerous tube amps which were not missed once the Rowland came in here. I think that "tube" amps don't always sound like "tubes" in the historical stereotype they are associated. Todays SS and tube amps are so close to "neutral" either can go a bit warm or analytical. So the best thing to do is find an amp which mates well with your speakers. For tubes, I enjoyed the Music Reference MKII as well as anything. The SS options out there to listen to are the Classe amps which are very warm and grainless and others previously listed. The Pass are exceptionally smooth also. But my preference was listed first... Rowland. They are warm, detailed, fast, and just sound like music, combining all the best fetures of other amps. Jallen
I would highly recommend Conrad Johnson MF series or Pass Labs X series. But if you choose CJ I would look for a A model such as a MF2500A. The A upgrade is much more detailed and worth the extra money.

Chuck