to pre or not to pre....that is the question....

I have Wadia 7/9 combo connecting directly to my power amplifier. Can I improve the performance by getting a dedicated pre-amplifier? Suggestions anyone...

Rest of the system:
Levinson 20.5
Sonus Faber Extrema

Thanks!
newintown_75287
The improvement may not be that big but just different unless you are going to spend some cash. You would probably get more bang with a better CDP, ICs and cables, along with some tweeks. For example, the wadia 861 will probably sound much better than the 830 with a preamp.
Martin Colloms, reviewing Wadia 860 or 861 for Stereophile, said guardedly that he thought a very good active preamp was necessary for best performance. From my own experience with an Accuphase DP-75 and a CAT SLT Mk III with factory simplified signal path, I disagree--unless the active preamp is simply offering a partial filtering out of some nasties built into the Wadia, which I hasten to say I've never heard. Ask yourself: how could an active preamp help? It isn't the same issue as active versus passive preamp when the CD player must be plugged into one or the other, putting a third element into the impedance equation. (Maybe some wise person among us can answer my question, which I posed as a rhetorical one--but maybe it's not.)
This topic comes up quite often and the opinions seem to split about 50/50. I personally think it's better without, as I think the Wadias have a good output stage and can drive most amps quite well on their own. Others claim to hear improvements with preamps but I am suspicious that they are actually hearing euphonic colorations that the preamp is adding and like what they hear.
I agree with Karls. My only question is: do you need better volume control?