Usher DMD tweeter upgrade: worth it?

Is the Usher DMD tweeter a BIG upgrade over the BE? I have BE-718s (US ver) and like them a lot, but we always want to take it to the next level if possible, right? The cost of tweeters alone is $700, which is pretty steep, so is it worth the price?
eugene81
Continue...But I'm sure that the US distributor will come up with some fairy A$$ story to try to convince you that his DMD tweeters are the "US Version" which has been baptized by his bodily fluids to provide better sound performance. Or he may just get JPS Labs to replace the original speaker terminal contacts on the DMD tweeters and magically call it a "US Version" and charge you 5 times more than it's worth. After all...that's exactly what he did with the Usher BE-718's...he bought them from Usher in Taiwan...oops, no longer in Taiwan, Usher in China, without Usher's own in house crossover, he got GPS Labs to furnish the crossover and by doing so, the US Distributor for Usher Audio can now call it the "US Version" and a "superior product"...really? And people fall for that crap. If you're sensing that I have a personal issue with this company, I certainly do so we can get that question out of the way. It's not worth the upgrade to the DMD and there are other companies that conduct themselves with more integrity and produce better quality products.
Betterbelizeit, Thanks for the info. I nearly ordered a pair for my BE-20. However there is also the 'Holland Version' of this DMD tweeter with unknown 'bodily fluids' for 600 Euro but one needs to return his Be version to the dealer. So I intend to keep my BE tweeters as well as 600
Euro.
Regards,
Morning Nandric! There's no actual "Holland" version or US Version"...These magical versions that pop up is a result of distributors having to counteract the effects that the internet has on providing fast information to consumers. A set of DMD tweeters are $199.00US (pair) to the consumer. Prices of $700-$1000.00US with references to magical "versions" was simply a marketing tool to get existing users of any BE tweeter to go for the upgrade. Think of the profits...any line of speaker sold to consumers since the introduction of the BE tweeter become a potential customer. No need to search out new customers, no need to deal with the cost of building new cabinets in China and the cost of putting together a speaker...just out goes your old tweeter and in goes a new tweeter....and by doing so, you killed two birds with one stone. 1. A way of getting quick cash, 2. Most important, from Usher's view point is to remove every evidence of the Be Tweeters that caused so much embarrassment for the company. And look closely if you return your Be tweeter...do you think that's going into the garbage. No chance...out goes the BE dome and in goes the DMD cone, add a new baffle engraved DMD and it's done. And the unfortunate thing...the BE does sound better than the DMD.
Usher BE718 already has a much better tweeter than its mid-bass driver. The thing that really needs an "upgrade" is the mid-bass driver. IMO adding a better tweeter (if it is really better) makes no sense at all, it is like adding better tires to the front of the car while the rear tires are the ones which have worn out.
Dear Betterbelizeit, You surely deserve a good bottle of
whysky; I will still keep 560 Euro. BTW I ivented the 'Holland Version' per analogy of the US price. But I have no idea if you in the US also need to return the Be
tweeters to your dealers? Ie comparing the prices of,say,
Scan Speak tweeters with Usher one should easely sell the
Be kind for 200 Euro a peace. BTW you forget to mention the
price difference with the 'new' BE-10 & BE-20 with the 'old' one. The 'Holland Version' of this difference is
about 6000 Euro. So it seems to be even worse then you assumed.
Regards,