Usher DMD tweeter upgrade: worth it?

Is the Usher DMD tweeter a BIG upgrade over the BE? I have BE-718s (US ver) and like them a lot, but we always want to take it to the next level if possible, right? The cost of tweeters alone is $700, which is pretty steep, so is it worth the price?
eugene81
Hello Again. An update, and a substantial change in my opinion. I recently replaced the DMD tweeters with Beryllium ones, while retaining the GR-research crossovers. So now I have two pairs of Beryllium tweetered 718s, one pair with the standard crossover, and one with the GR-research USA-spec crossover.

Verdict: The GR-research crossover is a spectacular improvement. All the virtues I heard previously were due to the crossover. In fact with the Be tweeter in place, the gains are all the more evident. More detail, more transparency, better imaging, and (for me surprising) clarity in the upper bass - there are no downsides. I am able to interchange the two sets of speakers, and, at least in my system, there is a marked difference in favour of the GR-research version.

The corollary of the above is that in my opinion the DMD tweeter is markedly inferior to the Beryllium model. It adds a layer of grain, and a distinct harshness to some instruments - most evident with violins, both solo and massed, and trumpet - for example, Miles Davis' recordings. The effect is one of congestion; there is less "air" around players. Practically the results saw me turn down the volume, and shorten listening sessions. Ultimately, the DMD equipped set (with GR-crossovers) were relegated to my 2.1channel home theatre set-up, where they were fine for movies. I repeatedly trialled them in the main music system, but always reverted to the Beryllium set-up, usually after only a day or two - even without the GR-crossovers, these were distinctly preferable.

In summary - With Beryllium tweeter and GR-crossovers the Be-718s live up to all the wild praise of the early USA reviewers. Finally I can hear what all the fuss was about. With Beryllium tweeters, but only the standard crossover = nice, very smooth and easy to listen to, but a little slow and unfocused. With DMD tweeters (and GR-crossovers), more snap and some of the detail is there, but with a harshness that, to my ears, makes them tiring and unlovable.

I purchased the Beryllium tweeters through KCAudio (hifi223). His service was perfect. Westan, the Australian distributor, have only a few sets left in stock. If you want to purchase a set you need to quote the "sensitivity" of your DMDs - this is found on a label affixed to the rear of the tweeter. The tweeters are easily removed - you only need a 2mm Allen key - no soldering required.

Rob
I wonder if Steve Morey (sp?) is going to have a field day. Doesn't look like Usher's DMD drivers are real diamond, probably some kind of various ceramic. It's breakup mode is 24KHz...I mean really? A cheap 1" aluminum tweeter breaks up at 23KHz, "real" Beryllium domes breakup close to 40KHz and B&W's "Real" Diamond tweeters breakup even higher, near 50KHz.

$199 is right, these are garbage tweeters being paraded as $800 upgrades.

http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2013/2013-07/usher_audio_dancer_minix_diamond_loudspeakers_lores.pdf
I took the plunge and bought a pair of the DMD tweeters last week. Hey, I figured if I didn't like them I would just reinstall the Be tweeters. It took all of about 30 seconds to realize the DMD tweeter is superior. Wider sound stage, More pinpoint placement of musicians and vocalists within that sound stage, More detail and at the same time smoother and more extended. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it isn't. No shrillness or harshness here. Just smooth extended treble. I bought them from Fred at Katli Audio in Chino Hills, California. I ordered at 3 pm and he had them in the mail that very same day! Great service and a worthwhile upgrade.
Danoroo. Agree completely with your opinions on both the diamond tweeters and about Fred. Fred is terrific - Usher is lucky to have him as their US distributor.
I do love people spitting bile about things they know nothing of, breakup at 24khz? I've never heard it and more to the point hifi choice completely disagree with you as do their tests , I believe the correct phrase you are looking for is 'lift' , also B&W diamond tweeters 'breakup' (your words) at 15khz not 50. See review (http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/65-reviews/511-usher-dancer-mini-two.html)

Now the lies have been dealt , I have owned my BE718DMD for a while now, they are quite simply outstanding speakers , every time I change something in my system, good or bad , these speakers tell me exactly , speakers cables , source , interconnects, I can hear it .

If you like warmth stick with the BE , if you crave detail , soundstage and realism , the DMD is for you.