How close to the real thing?

Recently a friend of mine heard a Chopin concert in a Baptist church. I had told him that I had gone out to RMAF this year and heard some of the latest gear. His comment was that he thinks the best audio systems are only about 5% close to the real thing, especially the sound of a piano, though he admitted he hasn't heard the best of the latest equipment.

That got me thinking as I have been going to the BSO a lot this fall and comparing the sound of my system to live orchestral music. It's hard to put a hard percentage on this kind of thing, but I think the best systems capture a lot more than just 5% of the sound of live music.

What do you think? Are we making progress and how close are we?
peterayer
This has been a fascinating thread. It seems to me that it has raised three related questions:

(1) How real does a state-of-the-art system sound? (The OP’s question)

(2) What are the factors that limit how real a system sounds?

(3) Why do estimates about how real a state-of-the-art system sounds vary so much?

I will take a shot at the OP’s question last. About the other two…

(2) What are the factors that limit how real a system sounds?

Atmasphere, Shadorne, and others have already said much of what needs to be said. I would only add that, to my ears, the three principal characteristics that limit how real most systems sounds are: Dynamic range, spatial cues, and harmonic content.

My suspicion is that dynamic range, spatial cues, and harmonic content are themselves chiefly limited by recordings, rooms, and equipment, respectively. Dynamic range is limited both by the inherent informational limits of recording media and by the elective use of compression during mixing. Spatial cues are limited by acoustically under-treated rooms, which obscure spatial cues, or by acoustically over-treated rooms, which limit the directionality of spatial cues. And harmonic content is limited by various kinds of equipment-induced distortion, whether harmonic distortion, IMD, TIM, etc.. This is of course an oversimplification, but the general point is that, IMO, the chief factors that limit how real most systems sound are dynamic range, spatial cues, and harmonic content (probably in that order).

(3) Why do estimates about how real a state-of-the-art system sounds vary so much?

It seems to me that estimates vary so much for both objective and subjective reasons…

Some OBJECTIVE REASONS:

-People have been exposed to different systems, including different “state of the art” systems. The better the systems, the higher your estimate.

-People listen to different types of music. The smaller the scale of the music you tend to listen to, the higher your estimate.

-People have different libraries of recordings. The higher the “average” recording quality from your personal library, the higher your estimate.

Some SUBJECTIVE REASONS:

-People have different capacities for aural perception. It’s no secret that musicians perceive things in music that most other listeners do not. Audiophiles have their own form of enhanced perception, though they are probably sensitive to different things. The point is that the greater your aural perception, the greater the potential for perceived differences between real musical events and recorded ones, and so the lower your estimate.

-People have different capacities for aural memory. The better your aural memory, the more rigorously you will be able to compare recorded musical events with recalled musical events. And the more rigorous the comparison, the more you will perceive what is wrong with recorded playback, and so the lower your estimate.

-People have different capacities for aural imagination. The greater your imagination, the easier it is to fill in what’s missing during recorded playback, and so the higher your estimate.

-People have different capacities for selective attention. The greater your selective attention and the better you can control it, the easier it is to ignore what’s wrong with a recording or a system, and the higher your estimate.

-People have different mental “standards” for judging what’s real. For some people, it’s dynamics. For others, it’s instrument timbres. For others, it’s PRaT. The point is that people don’t use the same information for judging the verisimilitude of a recorded musical event. The more you use standards in which recorded playback usually suffers (e.g., dynamic range), the lower your estimate.

All of these subjective considerations point to the fact that, in order to answer the OP’s question, a person must take into consideration many of his own psychological characteristics (perception, memory, imagination, etc.), and since these characteristics vary widely, answers to the OP’s question vary widely. Which brings me to…

(1) How real does a state-of-the-art system sound? (The OP’s question)

This question could be interpreted in terms of the total amount of musical information at the listening position during the real musical event vs. the total amount of musical information at the listening position during the recorded playback of that same event. If that is how the OP’s question is interpreted, then my answer is: I have no idea, but someone could probably figure this out, within some limited range of accuracy.

Alternatively, the OP’s question could be interpreted in terms of how real a system sounds to people. If that is how the OP’s question in interpreted, then my answer is: There is no single valid answer. There are many possible answers, each valid to an individual or to a group of similar individuals. Generally, I don't like to conclude something so subjectivist, but that is how I see it.

Bryon
Hello Byron ,

Great response and agree with a lot of it ..

Personally , i have been around SOTA type systems for the better part of 35 yrs and have yet to hear one that would be mistaken for real.

I will fully agree the recorded medium is a big part. Those who use direct recorded RR tapes for playback , get the closest IMO. I was first exposed to such in 1979 by Mark Levinson and his HQD system. Those Demonstrations were done using Peter McGrath's personal demo tapes.

It was astonishing then as it is now for those doing the RR thing again today....

Best of Hi-FI IMO, yes very much so.. But still a Memorex moment...
Definitely more than 5% (Caveat: In a well set up non-hifi, musical sounding ref system, regardless of price) less than 95%, and at times, depending upon type of music and recording quality, it may approach 95% at times. 100% is 'never' going to be possible!
Somewhere in the miasma of the OP's question is another beguiling paradox, namely:

What percent of the time has live, unamplified music ever been mistaken by anyone as being other than "real"?

If the answer to this question is close to "zero" (as in "zero" percent of the time I have mistaken live music for being recorded ) then, how is it or, rather IS it possible for the OP's question to be other than the reciprocal?