Best of both worlds?

If you used a powered sub (such as a Vandersteen 2Wq w/ an external corssover) along with a tube amp, would you effectively have the "best of both worlds" or would your SS sub amp get too much of a low-end sonic signature from the tube amp.
128x128nrenter
Nrenter, I too have been using an X-30 with a Bryston 4B amp and NHT SW3P passive sub and I'm quite happy with this arrangement. I have not tried the high pass section of the X-30, and as I suspected from the other posts here that it compromises the performance of the main speakers being used with it.

I'd like to add a caviet to my previous endorsement of running a tube amp for your mains with a solid state powered subwoofer. I've found that the while a subwoofer can improve the overall bass, the quality of the bass you get from your main amp and main speakers will also have a great influence and/or limit the overall quality of bass you get even with a sub. I've noticed this even among varying solid state amps.

Good luck.
Ecclectique,thanks for the suggestion. After disconnecting the xover from the pre-amp I realized there is 2 outputs! And thats how I connected my system. My mains are Tannoy Rectangular GRF with 15" golds. After a bit of tweaking with the xover, I've notice a great improvement. I will upgrade my amp (ie. SET amp) before I get a better xover,but that will be a while.
Hi Leeph. Glad I could be of some help. This is interesting to me as well as I too use 15 inch Tannoys. Cheers