Preamp is an amplifier too, right???

I just hooked up my little Cary 2A3 monoblocks to a solid state pre, and I can swear the system sounds like it has more balls. I dont know if I like the sound as much, but it definitely seems louder. Does a solid state pre amplify the signal more than a tube pre? No one ever talks about preamplifier power, yet thats what it does, right? Or am I missing something? thanks.......Mark
mythtrip
Sogood: jealousy is a bad thing. If a guy wants to experiment with different combinations of equipment, what's the harm?
Thats right, pre just amplifies voltage, not power. Gs556, what do you mean by a pre drives a load of thousands of ohms? The typical amp presents that much of a load, why? ONe more question: what is the problem using a SS pre with tubes? I thought SS pres were more dynamic, "faster", they add rhythmn and pace, and firm up the bass. Tube amps add bloom and tone. If you need what a SS pre can give you in the system, dont you use it? thanks.......mark
Ehart, there is no jealousy. Most posts asking about pre amp are from people that still have a receiver. He starts out with cary monoblocks, my poke was ment more at light humor. To much money, tubes with solid state. I guess I could have left the part about not knowing anything out. I need to work on my audiophile tact.