New Tenor Hybrid

With 7 or 8 pairs of the new monoblocks all ready delivered, who is going to be the first to post a mini review?
husk01
Chuck....or Johnny....or...

i've had my Tenor 300 watt Hybrids for about a month. i did post a mini-review on AA...here it is;

since i oredered my Tenor 300 watt Hybrid monoblocks i have been skeptical. after living with the Tenor 75 watt OTL's for the last 2 years.....and comparing them to many of the best amps out there......they had set a standard that, in my mind at least, was going to hard to equal, let alone beat. i was expecting more dynamic control, less heat in my room.....and possibly more speed. but i thought i would also lose some naturalness and clarity. i expected the Hybrids to be less texturally complex and articulate.

then i spent time with the Hybrids in SF at the Stereophile Show and it was very clear to my ears there that they were quite a bit better overall than the OTL's. but......i rationalized that somehow the OTL's were underperforming at the Show.....maybe bad power.....or something.

then the Hybrids arrived in my room......really from the first note it was clear the Hybrids did EVERYTHING better than the OTL's. first, much more neutral.....and......much lower noise floor.....and yet.....completely organic and natural. i was not prepared for that combination of supurlatives......as i have never experienced it before outside of live music. the Hybrids actually have more clarity, speed and inner detail and texture than the OTL's (which had set the standard in these areas for me). combine those attributes with much greater dynamic control, better pace and drive, more solid frequency extention, bigger more focused soundstage and better overall coherence and lack of strain......and you have simply raised the bar for amplification.

the easiest way to describe it.....it just gets out of the way of the music......you don't get a sense that it is there.

the way the Hybrids reproduce pianos, horns, and voices must be heard to be appreciated. there is a seeming complete absense of the recording and reproduction process.....these sounds just sound real.

many people focus on bass performance as that seems to be the 'hard part' of any amp/speaker performance. no system is completely fulfilling without great bass performance. the Hybrids are simply unbelievable in this area. the bass is extended, balanced, articulate, fast, textured and has a presence and effortlessness that makes it completely complimentary to the musical event. and it does all those things in complete coherence with the rest of the frequency range.

these are not cheap.....but i have heard plenty of just as expensive or more expensive amps.....and the Tenor 300 watt Hybrid monoblocks go to a new level. i consider them a bargain. and they will work well with about any speaker that i know of.

as far as your comment..."however, those that have given the amp(s) glowing reviews seem to align themselves with a certain dealer in the Seattle and Portland area"....there are only 4 sets of these amps in customer's hands so far. if you are going to assume that there is somehow a lack of honesty with the feedback from these customers......maybe you could justify that assumption.

do you really think i would purchase a $30k set of amps and sell my 2 year reference amps unless i felt the new amps were better?

when you get a chance to demo a set of these amps in your system you could help us all out with your perspective.

please listen first....then comment.
Johnny, with all due respect, although I can understand why you think these Tenor owners "align" themselves with this certain dealer, I can ASSURE you that I know everyone but one of the people who have the new Tenor hybrids to date and NONE of them would shell out that kind of money to "align" themselves with anyone unless they had a financial interest in that company (which none of us do). The reason it looks this way is simple: First Mike LaVigne is the person we can thank (thanks Mike) for pretty much discovering the synergy bewteen Kharma speakers and Tenor amplifiers.

Then, this dealer happens to be the US Tenor importer and one of only two dealers to carry Kharma speakers in the US (other than Bill Parrish the US Importer for Kharma). So, if you do like the Kharma/Tenor synergy, it is almost impossible NOT to be somehow connected to this dealer at some point.

As for me, I am both a reviewer and owner of the Tenor 300HP hybrids and I can assure you I was the BIGGEST Doubting Thomas when it came to the Tenor hybrids! But no longer - everything Mike said is true AFAIC. I honestly did not think ANYONE could design a hybrid to get the best of both tubes and solid state, but IMHO, Michel VanDen Broecke has done the impossible.

Hearing is believing.
Heard the hybrids at Mike's place in Seattle.....The amps just had ten days on them, but liked what I heard....State of the Art? Hard to say as didn't know any of the gear involved other than the preamp we substituted for the passive Mike normally uses....Liked the frequency balance, dynamics and stage better with an active preamp and believe Mike liked the purity of the passive, but to each his own.....If you are interested in the Tenors give them a try rather than speculate......The amps are larger (deeper) than they appear in the ads and were glitch free during several cyclings as we played with preamps and phono stages......Really nice folks at Tenor BTW and believe the sole dealer is also the importer......With the pricing where it is there would be few dealers that would even consider stocking such an expensive item and delivery is slow as they appear to be built to order.......