Is solid state on the brink of extinction?

I am curious how many out there, like me, that have come to the conclusion the age of solid state, and perhaps tube gear, is closing.

In freeing needed cash from my high end audio recently, I was forced to look for a less expensive alternative. To my surprise, the alternative turned out to be an unexpected bonus.

I have notoriously inefficient speakers. I was sure I would have to sell them once I sold off my large solid state blocks.

Going on a tip from another amp killer speaker owner, I bought an Acoustic Reality eAR 2 MKII Class D amp. This tiny amp caused a revolution in sound benefits over my ss mono blocks.

My speakers gained in speed, depth, control, detail, range, clarity, and dynamics.

It didn't stop there. I also sold my front end, and bought a very cheap programmable digital DVD. It also proved to be better that my old disc player. My playback gained in detail, separation, depth, bass control, bass extension, and treble extension. The mids are just plain natural. Reverberation decay occurs evenly and naturally.

Has anyone else had a similar experience of moving from solid state or tubes to digital? What do you see as the future for solid state component producers? What of tube amps?
muralman1
It is impossible to comment since you only listed one piece (Acoustic Reality eAR 2 MKII Class D amp) in your post. Not knowing what you had, and what you now have, makes it impossible to assess whether you upgraded or not. Less expensive, current digital equipment can often out perform older more expensive pieces so perhaps you did.
My last solid state was the Pass X600, but my comment extends to every solid state I have ever witnessed. The digital player is the Liteon 2001.

My interest is in those who have switched THEIR solid state with THEIR digital.

I have honestly told you my reaction to the switch I made.
I've heard only one digital amp that truly impressed me in my house on borrowed Watt Puppy 5.1s. It was the Spectron Amp, and it was an excellent match with a Theta Gen Va dac.
What is impressive sound to me? Something that comes close to my current system: Sony SCD-777ES, Pass Aleph or X pre-amp, Pass Aleph 2s & Apogee Mini-Grands w/Aragon 4004MKII driving the subs. I haven't heard any speaker or amp that sounds better in my listening (living) room.
And I'm constantly searching.
Digital amps are like early redbook CDs to me, still in the teething stage....
Ah! Daniel, close to my heart. I am driving Apogee Scintillas with the eAR 2. I still have my Aleph P pre amp. My sweet Jolida 100 fitted with terrific tubes has lost out to the cheapy ($150) Liteon, already improved with three cd inserted patches.

It was the vaunted X600 that was replaced by the eAR.