tube or tube-like amp recommendations?

Can anyone make any recommendations for this system:

-JM Lab Electras: 915, 905, sr30, cc30
-ATI 5 channel amp (1505?) 150x5
-AdcoM GFA555II amp 200x2 (this is the one I'd like to replace)
-B&K ref 30 pre

I'd like to buy used equipment selling for less then $1500-$2000. Any ideas for a tube amp in this price range or a solid state with a tube like sound?

Thanks!!
Peter
themightymilkman
Same old same old !
Tubes VS Transistors its like comparing apples to pine apples, both have their merits and pit falls, I use an old Dyna ST-400 at 250HZ down in a biamped system for driving my EV-18's sub, the tube amps are MC-60's that are crossed over 250HZ up for mids and highs which are very sweet in this range, transistor amps make very good Low frequency amps and tube amps make wonderful mid to high frequency devices, tube amps tend to get soggy at low frequency due to the output transformer its hard to pass what is close to DC through a transformer, thats why at best 30HZ is the cut off point of MOST tube amps for the exception of OTL's transistor amps seem to screach at high frequency, mosfets has helped that some what but still the same is noticeable
Try mixing and matching with a cross over bi-amped system you may like the results.
I use an ARC LS 16 tube pre. It is just slightly tubey but did the trick. I don't think too many SS amps are going to do what I think you want. Try a tube pre, you won't go back. Also some tube pre's have a home theater bypass so you can run through them using a home theater preamp when watching movies.
Hey Mark,I noticed your using MC60s. How will they match up with my Cremona Auditors?
Look for a Threshold T200 or T400 on Audiogon. They are solid state amps with very tube-like performance. Powerful as well and they can be had for the money you want to spend. I see them here fairly often and at ridiculously low prices. They are pure class A also which is utterly impossible to find in any current amps. By the way, I still have my T200 after 8 years - no repairs yet either - and I am very reluctant to give it up for newer electronics. Also pairs well with a tube preamp. I used a CJ and now a Hovland with mine. Really beautiful sound. I have a friend who is an all tube guy and he cannot get over how sweet my system sounds.