my $686 stereo system, laugh if you want...

I have just finished establishing my $686 stereo system. Laugh if you want, but I am enjoying my tunes on my vintage system. Audio Research D-100A amp, Audio Research SP-4A pre-amp(very cool stuff) both $50 at yard sale, Mistral CD player $84 at pawn shop, ADS L710 speakers(garage sale $10) rebuilt for $200, Luxman 110 tuner, $10 at thrift shop, Mirage PS-12-180 sub woofer $300 on Audiogon, radio shack Fusion IC $12 Ebay, and Monster Cable speaker wire $20 at Best Buy. Sounds good. Sarah Brightman, Bonnie Raitt, Sarah McLaclin all sounding good.
bottomsup
I had some ADS L710 speakers bought new in 1979 - had them for almost 20 years and loved 'em--hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine
Bravo! And I guess you did this without the benefit of magazine reviews and you sound like you are enjoying your sounds rather than looking for flaws in your system.
You're my AUDIOPHILE of the YEAR.
Macrojack I totally agree with you.Bottomsup is probably
the happiest Agoner too.He did not need our audiophilia
nervosa advice.
classical1; people at local hi-end stereo laughed(laughed, that's correct) when I told them I was rebuilding some ADS L710 speakers. They told me paper woofers, etc. were garbage. I stumbled on a knowledgeable web-site that talked about speaker manufacturing and it went on to say that properly built paper woofers can't be touched by all that metal stuff. Makes me wonder how much hi-end stereo store knows or were they trying to get me to part with my money? The electronic shop guy said that when the ADS are finished, I would have to spend $1500 to equal them. Now, they do sound great, but of course I have nothing really to compare them to. They do sound nice, though.
macrojack: actually, I confess to doing a lot of web searching on each piece of equipment. After I bought it though :o) I couldn't pass up the prices. I have sold a bunch of other stereo stuff that I bought at bargain basement prices that paid for this system 3 times over. I actually have a free system + approx. $1200($686 was just what I paid for each piece I am currently using). All sorts of Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. stereos at garage sales resold for profit. For instance, my Hafler 220 cost $172, sold for $275 2 weeks later, etc. My girlfriend thinks I need to seek professional help.