Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Guido, I found High Fidelity Cables over two years ago and was blown away at how they sounded. They are something special.

There is a British brand that I plan on checking out that might be another worthwhile cable, Tellurium Q. I hear their new top of the line Silver Diamond cable is something special.
Hi Al, Rick Schultz's PC creations are special indeed.... I really need to get my act together... Clean up my listening notes, and start posting my progressive observations on these marvels.
G.
HS not happened yet. All involved are too busy.

Hoping maybe next wed or the wed after. Also hoping to get a current software version EmmLabs dac into the shoot out as well.
The current software version is v1.22, which adds support for DSD128 and requires a new DSP board. Units having these latest updates from the factory should also have the power supply changes (which had an earlier availability) as well as the recent OCC fuse bypasses which make another significant improvement in the DAC's performance.