Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
R-2R ladder:

MSB DAC V
totaldac d1-twelve

Which of these other DACs are R2R ladder?

Aesthetix Pandora/Romulus
APL DSD-S
Auralic Vega
Berkeley Alpha Reference
Boulder 1021
CH Precision C1
Chord DAVE
dCS "Ring DAC"
EMM Labs DAC2x
Empirical Audio Overdrive SE
Esoteric Grandioso D1
exaSound e22
Jeff Rowland Aeris
Lampizator GG
Nagra HD DAC
Playback Designs MPS / MPD - 5
PS Audio DirectStream
Zanden Model 5000

Appreciated, Josh
07-21-15: Georgelofi

Guidocorona if I could chime in while your waiting for Coli's answer.

I find with Redbook cd, all the Direct Stream ones I've listened too are too relaxed/smooth and uninvolving, much the same as 1 bit, bitstream, delta sigma and ESS type dacs.

You notice this once you've heard a very well implemented R2R Ladder Multibit dac's, they have excitement, drive and boogie factor that doesn't seem to be there with the above.

Too bad the manufacturers are trying to phase out R2R Multibit dac's, they are way harder and more expensive for them to make, and they then charge up to 10 x the price for them.

Cheers George

I agree George. I think part of the reason people like DSD is that "analog" blunting of the upper frequencies in particular. It is harder (and more $) to go the R2R ladder route. I know Totaldac spends a lot of time and $ in that regards.
07-21-15: Jh901
R-2R ladder:

MSB DAC V
totaldac d1-twelve

Aesthetix Pandora/Romulus
APL DSD-S
Auralic Vega
Berkeley Alpha Reference
Boulder 1021
CH Precision C1
Chord DAVE
dCS "Ring DAC"
EMM Labs DAC2x
Empirical Audio Overdrive SE
Esoteric Grandioso D1
exaSound e22
Jeff Rowland Aeris
Lampizator GG
Nagra HD DAC
Playback Designs MPS / MPD - 5
PS Audio DirectStream
Zanden Model 5000

Appreciated, Josh

Zanden, CAD, Trinity, Phasure, Red Wine Audio (at one point) are ones I know of...
Matt, first of all, thank you for this wonderful and very informative thread. I have been following your thread from day one and I must say this is by far the best thread on any audio related forum that I have come across:)
Anyway, I don't know if you have heard about Coincident Speaker Technology. Their speakers, although normally associated with low powered tube gear, can also be driven by powerful transistor amplifiers. The floor standing models have 12'' side firing woofers, so are quite narrow in size and flexible in placement. You can place woofers inwards or outwards, it helps eliminate standing waves and can be of benefit in your room. I currently have Antipodes DS Reference, Lampozator, Coincident pre and power amplifiers driving their second from the top floor stander, Total Victory V roughly in the room of the same size as yours, and have absolutely no issues with booming bass. The speakers just disappear, the sound is neutral, but at the same time is very revealing and detailed, the bass is simply amazing. I know, they are rear ported, but side firing woofers may negate the issue in your room.
Given the caliber of the speakers you are looking at, I think, you should give their top model, Pure Reference Extreme, a try: http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/Pure-Reference-Extreme.htm.
The have separate enclosures for the mids/highs and the woofers, are full range and have simple first order crossovers. Another advantage: having separate enclosures gives additional flexibility for placing them in a room. You can even get stands for mids/high module and place them separately from woofers.

07-21-15: Jh901
R-2R ladder:

MSB DAC V
totaldac d1-twelve

It takes time and you have to look at what is using what dac chip.
To gain some insight here is the greatest collection of what uses what in CDP and DACs Vasilli has complied a monster list here and you'll get to know which are the Ladder Multibit dacs and which are not. Not everything is there, but you get to know, and draw conclusions from the manufacturers propergander sheets.

http://vasiltech.narod.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

Cheers George