audio research sp-10

hi..i'm fairly new to tubes. i have an AR sp-10 pre, AR d-125 amp, vandersteen 2ci speakers, and a shanling t-100 cd player. running the cd player on the tube output of the shanling. my music tastes run the gamut from synthpop/techno...to sarah mclachlin, and josh groban. the system seems just a tad bright to me, which it seems it shouldn't with all the tubes i'm using. i've put the sp-10 on "high gain" which seems to help...is it "bad" to use the high gain on a regular basis? also..my speakers are biwired..but with no name wires..any suggestions for compatable speaker wires and or interconnects (using legend interconnects right now) or any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks in advance :)
synthgirl333
You've got to get a wee can of penetrating oil at the local hardware store. Put a drop on each screw and the little green men will back off and let you inside that SP10. Whats life without a few challenges. :-)
Synthgirl33- I don't have the 2Ci's any more, replaced them with 3A Signatures, but I was using the Kimber wires with them. I had the Sound Anchor stands, slightly better than Vanderstands, but elevated them to the same height. If you do not have stands I would strongly recommend them. You could place a wanted ad here, someone might have a spare set. Another thing I thought of is the stands permit you to tilt back the speakers. I'm not sure if the 2Ci had instructions on this but the 3A does. By tilting the speaker you can adjust the sweet spot of the tweeter for various listening heights. I don't have the instruction manual so I can't confirm this, but my brother does (I sold the 2Ci's to him). Not sure if I can get the manual right away but I will try.
newbee..okay..it's official..now the low level hiss is only on the right side as well...you rule!! this is with just the front two tubes swapped so far..what next?
LMAO newbee..don't EVEN ask..the story behind the "big favor" my ex did me...he gave me the system for all of 5 min then took it back when , well that's another story...it's taken two years for me to get it back...this time with "no strings attached"...and IN WRITING...believe me the price i paid was far higher than you can imagine. on the other hand..yes, i am fortunate i do have it back now..and yes..whoa..what a way to start exploring the possibilities...i'm just a tad embarrassed i have all this equipment and i'm such a rookie!!

what kind of tubes do you have in yours?

hey i really like that you won't leave "old faithful" for the "young chick" way to go newbee ;)