Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Congrats on getting 2 new components all at once! The Bricasti is indeed special when I brought it home for audition in my system. That was some time back and with the many improvements since then, it would certainly be much better in its current iteration. Boy, do I love this forum. Now you can follow up through all the burn-in pains and gains.
Cheers! J.
Glad to hear you got the problem identified and corrected. I told you that Brian's level of support is first class all the way. Enjoy the music as the break-in process continues, and we look forward to your further comments. Congrats!!!
~
That IS great service, to be sure. I'm happy that it worked out for you.

When I moved to the DirectStream, a decent-quality USB cable that I had used on my Perfectwave DAC MKII produced terrible results on the DS. As the volume went up, distortion, crackling, and other nasty artifacts were produced.

Like you, I switched to a cheap cable and the DS worked fine.

I got a new cable from the manufacturer to replace the old one, and it too failed. Almost every cable EXCEPT that one worked fine.

The designer of the DS, Ted Smith, had remarked that some people just don't adhere to the USB standard when designing. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but the results with that one cable were consistent.

Also like you, I moved up in cable quality after resolving the problem, and it DOES make a difference. I use a Transparent USB cable now, and the results are sublime.
I just bought my Directstream to replace a Auralic Vega ... So far, I am not impressed. As front end gear goes, the DS has the Vega beat. The vega has no 12v trigger and as a preamp, was weak. Mainly the reason I got the DS in the hopes to get decent sound and to go direct to amp ... It's been 3 days and so far I am unimpressed. I really hope there is some logic to burn in cause I know what I'm hearing and its a lack of bass the Vega presented very well that is seeingly not there with the DS... I would LOVE for someone to really critique the DS vs Bricasti... I feel like I need to bite the bullet and get one... I have Zu Audio definition MK iV speakers and a Sim integrated i7 and Cardas clear light & clear USB ... The Vega And Sim share the same remote codes too which pissed me off ...
Mcondon,

I note your comment about the PS Audio DS DAC not being "universally loved". Frankly, I have never seen a piece of gear that was universally loved because that means 100%. But I have rarely seen another piece of gear that has been as nearly universally acclaimed as the DS DAC has been. It has received wonderful reviews from almost all those who own it, that I have read about. And the DS DAC software updates give the user the opportunity to own a virtually new model with each version -- free of charge. I have never heard the Bricasti so I cannot comment on it. But I do own the DS DAC and am very happy with it. It far outclasses the EMM, Berkeley, Antelope, AMR, NAD and other DACS that I have owned.